star_border

Best practices in gmail advertising

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Can anyone please share best practices in gmail advertising. I had posted a query on demographic targeting in gmail for which Pankaj answered that it is not possible. Are there any other best practices that can improve the performance other than creating separate adgroups?

Thanks

am

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best practices in gmail advertising

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Am,

In order to target only gmail user, you need run a seperate display campaign on managed placements only. 

Add manage placements

• mail.google.com
  • mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center

Note: its not gmail.com, it's mail.google.com

Demographic Bidding: Go to Settings tab >> Scroll down to Advance Setings>> Click + Demographic >> Edit Demographic Settings. 

You can prevent your ads from showing to a specific demographic group by excluding the group below.

Exclude Gender & Age you do not want to show your ads.

Please confirm if i am correct about Demographic Bidding. I generally do not use this.

Thanks,

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Neha,

Thanks for your reply.

I am aware of your point 1 (separate campaign). However, it seems demographic setting does not work for gmail.

Are you aware of any other best practices?

Would welcome suggestions from top contributors on this.

Thanks

am

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi am,

the best practice to advertise on gmail is use mail.google.com,  mail.google.com::Inbox,Top center

as your placement and Choose topics to target specific customer and you can also go through interest & remarketing.

HRMehrotra
On Google+

SEMag

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Neha ! Gender & Age settings are not available on Gmail managed placements.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi, am -

As far as I know, any "best practices" for serving ads on the Disply Network will also work for gmail.

The suggestions given here for targeting gmail specifically via managed placements are good ones. If they're not what you were hoping for, can you be more specific about what you need?

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello am;

I'm with Theresa on that . Display Network best practice should work when you "placement target" Gmail on DN.

One point that has been brought to my attention lately, is that there are free extensions on the market, that block Google ads on Gmail (Like Minimalist for Chrome. Though, those are still in small numbers compared with the tens of  millions of Gmail users.)

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
can you share more about what you are trying to achieve? Leads, sales, signups?

Are you looking to target specific topics associated to gmail like the content on pages or just mail.google.com entirely?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Theresa.

The point is that Gmail is a very large source of impressions/ clicks and conversions as compared to other websites in GDN. In most campaigns, it accounts for 50%+ of impressions & clicks.

Most of the best practices in GDN are around creating adgroups based on theme of keywords etc. This can be done based on theme of the website and your product. However, what can you do in gmail where there is no website theme?

Once we have created a separate campaign for gmail, there is nothing else you can do other than increasing CPC, which definitely increases impressions and clicks but increases cost in same proportion (often more). So there is no way you can optimize gmail campaign, like you can do search campaigns.

The only thing I could think of is demographic targeting, which works very well with facebook and can potentially work for gmail also (at least age groups should be possible to select as gmail is taking information on date of birth), but it seems demographic targeting is not possible in gmail as of now.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

am

am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
am
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Kim,

We are using gmail for leads/ signups. We are quite happy with the conversions and see huge scope for increasing conversions. However, the only way to do that seems to be to increase CPC so that impressions and clicks go up. But that increases cost significantly.

We are already using keyword targeting in gmail. And we believe we have got good ad copies that include keywords matching the adgroup themes.

Any suggestions on what other levers we could use for increasing impressions & CTR without increasing CPC?

Thanks

am