AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best practice when comparing two different campaigns, in two different periods? Excel? How?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi.

Kinda new to AdWords. My company has ONE product, and we dedicated two campaigns to that single product. One campaign has a different landing page than the other. The first one ran in May, and the other one ran in June - now I want to compare the results.

What is the best way to do this? Export two periods and compare in Excel? How? And should I export from AdWords or Analytics?

Appreciate any help.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin S
July

Re: Best practice when comparing two different campaigns, in two different periods? Excel? How?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Martin S good question.  Unfortunately, you've not really got the best data for a direct comparison.  AdWords (any advertising for that matter) performance changes over time to a greater or lesser degree depending upon the product so a comparison of landing page performance really needs to be made over the same time period.  For example, if you sold barbeque equipment the difference in the weather between two months could have an impact that eclipses any difference related to the landing page.  Another problem is that clicks in May might have led to conversions in June but the figures in May didn't have this benefit of clicks in April.  

So, the first thing I'd say is that you need to run your experiment again.  If you're looking for a landing page comparison, there's a number of ways you could do this.  

1. Use AdWords' Campaign Experiments.  You can set up your Ad Groups to land on different landing pages and AdWords will automatically make sure the split is 50/50 (or whatever you'd like it to be).  Personally, I'm not a fan of CEs, especially now you've got to create a draft before you can create an experiment.  I think the process is overcomplicated, but it's an option.

2. Use code on your website.  Depending upon your access to a developer and/or the coding of your website, it could be relatively trivial to put some code on a landing page that directed AdWords visitors to another page based on stats, again aiming for that 50/50 split (or whatever).  You'd probably need to think about how you'd track the conversion data to reflect the different landing pages, but there are several relatively easy ways to do that, so I'd say this is a good option.

3. Pause/Enable different Ad Groups on a schedule.  For example, have two identical Ad Groups, one with Ads pointing to landing page A, the other pointing to landing page B, then use a simple script to pause/enable them as appropriate every hour.  The only real downside of this is that you'd need to make sure you don't cause the same comparison issues you have with comparing June to May (for example, if 1300 to 1400 is your busiest period and Group A is always the one enabled at that time, you'd skew the results), but that's easily avoided by introducing some random factor to the script.

4. Use Analytics Experiments.  This is probably the best and easiest option and it's well explained here:

Test Landing Pages with Google Analytics

Take your pick!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin S
July

Re: Best practice when comparing two different campaigns, in two different periods? Excel? How?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Martin S good question.  Unfortunately, you've not really got the best data for a direct comparison.  AdWords (any advertising for that matter) performance changes over time to a greater or lesser degree depending upon the product so a comparison of landing page performance really needs to be made over the same time period.  For example, if you sold barbeque equipment the difference in the weather between two months could have an impact that eclipses any difference related to the landing page.  Another problem is that clicks in May might have led to conversions in June but the figures in May didn't have this benefit of clicks in April.  

So, the first thing I'd say is that you need to run your experiment again.  If you're looking for a landing page comparison, there's a number of ways you could do this.  

1. Use AdWords' Campaign Experiments.  You can set up your Ad Groups to land on different landing pages and AdWords will automatically make sure the split is 50/50 (or whatever you'd like it to be).  Personally, I'm not a fan of CEs, especially now you've got to create a draft before you can create an experiment.  I think the process is overcomplicated, but it's an option.

2. Use code on your website.  Depending upon your access to a developer and/or the coding of your website, it could be relatively trivial to put some code on a landing page that directed AdWords visitors to another page based on stats, again aiming for that 50/50 split (or whatever).  You'd probably need to think about how you'd track the conversion data to reflect the different landing pages, but there are several relatively easy ways to do that, so I'd say this is a good option.

3. Pause/Enable different Ad Groups on a schedule.  For example, have two identical Ad Groups, one with Ads pointing to landing page A, the other pointing to landing page B, then use a simple script to pause/enable them as appropriate every hour.  The only real downside of this is that you'd need to make sure you don't cause the same comparison issues you have with comparing June to May (for example, if 1300 to 1400 is your busiest period and Group A is always the one enabled at that time, you'd skew the results), but that's easily avoided by introducing some random factor to the script.

4. Use Analytics Experiments.  This is probably the best and easiest option and it's well explained here:

Test Landing Pages with Google Analytics

Take your pick!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Best practice when comparing two different campaigns, in two different periods? Excel? How?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

All of Johns points are excellent and true. Consider them all when assessing the performance and take variables into account. 

However, as a simple answer on how to compare results side by side you can do this within your Adwords account by using the compare dates feature. Select the dates you wish to compare, than expand the columns.

This article will help explain how to do that in more detail: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454008?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en-GB 

Hope this helps.