1.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best data range for automated bid to position rule

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am using automated rules to manage high priority keywords to a specific range:

raise bid 2% when avg pos worse than 2.5 using data from previous day and impressions >=3

the values highlighted in red above are my question.

should i use a longer period of time for measuring the average position than previous day? how accurate is position data if you are using just yesterdays values? would it be better to use last seven days?

thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best data range for automated bid to position rule

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I don´t know what is needed to get a good calibration in terms of volumes and time, but the higher the volume and the greater the length of time the more accurate and well founded the decision to raise the bid will be.

Remember this is average position, there can be a great range of different positions hiding in this number.

3 impressions is for sure not enough to make a decision

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks. i went ahead and selected 'last 7 days' as the date range. how does that sound?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Outofbounds;

To follow with David;

Note that an average position might be a misleading value;

What is the average of positions 1+ 4 ? Or 1+3 ?(When Google shows only two ads above the search results.)

The average position is a misleading metric as long as Google does not report the margin of error.!

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, that depends, what´s the amount of impressions?