2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Remarketing Campaign Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Im fairly new to Adwords and want to create a remarketing campaign to get past website visitors to revisit my website and potentially contact us or fill in a form.

I want to replicate what i see many of the large players like Amazon do. I often visit Amazon's website and then moments later I visit another site and i have an advert from Amazon presented to me almost immediately. Ive tried to replicate this a tested it but cant get my campaigns to be as effective i.e I dont see my remarketing advert at all.

What is the best setup?

Do i set it up and select the 'drive action' setting?

Whats the best bid strategy? Do i choose 'manual cpc' or 'viewable cpm' for example?

Your help is appreciated.

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashley C,

We differentiate multiple types of remarketing, however, what you have on mind is probably standard remarketing that shows ads to your past visitors as they browse Google Display Network websites. To remarket on the GDN, please select "Display Network only" > "Marketing objectives" > "Drive action" > "Buy on your website" when creating the campaign. The remarketing tag is a code that you'll be asked to add to the code of your website.

Please study the help page linked-to below for details:

***   About remarketing set-up   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454000

I'd likely choose manual CPC in the initial period till learnings show you may have additional options.

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Would you recommend targeting topics or placements?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

When doing standard remarketing on the GDN, I usually refrain from adding additional targeting methods to the campaign. Reason is associated with a typically small membership on the remarketing list.

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Ashley C,

As you are targeting the first party audience in your GDN, so there is no need to add any additional targeting. However, you may use the frequency cap to improve the CTR. 

Also, as your campaign objective is to drive action, so you should use "CPC bidding".

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Ashley C,

I suggest you also use keywords for your re-marketing campaign. I find it annoying when re-marketing ads show on completely unrelated sites. Also, use frequency capping.

I would consider adding placements, but not necessarily exclude automatic placements. Do watch the automatic placements and exclude those that are unrelated, producing a low CTR, or producing a low conversion rate.

Just my 2 cents.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Yeah, I do agree with @Rakesh Kumar and @petebardo in that when you have a good number of impressions it pays to be choosy regarding which segments they come from.

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How is it that ive set this up and have 65k people in my remarketing audience yet i only had 4 impressions yesterday? Buget is set at £0.10p per click which i think is reasonable looking at other similar campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashley C,

Did you apply additional targeting methods as suggested above by @Rakesh Kumar and @petebardo? What are they?

You sure about the membership? How do you know the size? When you define remarketing (yesterday?) the list will start with zero membership and embark on growing as new users visit your website. You may want to check on actual list size by going to Shared Library / Audiences.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, the list has been running for ages. Shared library shows 56,000 for search.