Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practices for Maximum Impressions technique on Display Network

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello

I'm looking for best practice ideas on obtaining maximum impressions on the Display Network. 

Doing a political campaign and would like to flash the Display Ads as many times as possible before election day to the targeted audience.

Have many creative sizes, targeted area defined, accelerated view and very high viewable CPM bid($40.00).

I believe am doing the best practices but lately have been seeing Yelp do massive impression blanketing and an attorney in our location area doing the same.

Seems they both take up almost all the GDN Ad spaces on certain sites we go to. 

Any suggestions on how they are doing this so I can adapt to this political campaign?

Thanks for any feedback

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Once your campaign has gathered enough data, you can use the Auction Insights tool to see who you are bidding against and check your impression share. https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

You can also try using the Responsive ads so they will automatically adjust their size, which can fit on many more sources. 

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6363750?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Gordon S;

They are doing it to gain visibility....

Switch to CPC and  (or keep with CPM) but split your banners into different ad-groups, based on banner sizes, and bod higher on the bigger banners.

If you have favorite sites - use managed placements, and don't forget re-marketing...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Gordon,

If you're truly wanting to gain maximum impressions one piece of advice would be to go to the settings of your campaign, scroll to the bottom and find the 'Ad Delivery' section.

From there you can set the campaign to have no cap on viewable impressions. 

Hope this helps,

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

How rich are you, or the client? You could easily be talking about tens of millions of dollars - Depending on the variables of the equation. If you are trying to "own" all the potential ad impressions on every potential placement in your targeted area, depending on the size of the market - You better be stupid ridiculous rich! Smiley Happy

I think Moshe hit the nail on the head - If you are trying to "own" specific placements/websites/pages, then create a managed placements campaign, and target only those placements. Then you will very quickly see which ad sizes, types, and messaging is most effective for those placements. Targeting affects the potential impression share, so the more you can refine your targeting, the more accurate your impression share estimates will be.

Of course, this close to the election - I would put every cent into the current remarketing list regardless of placements, or any other secondary targeting. You know that audience has expressed interest in your position/candidate, so the goal should be to keep them engaged until the election. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you for your response.

Isn't Auction Insights only available on Google Shopping and Search

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes  Yelp is omnipresent on the GDN ads from my browsers Maximum Impressions =Branding.

that's what I'm looking for to see how Yelp is gaining these maximum impressions.

They are everywhere... Looking for ideas on how you think they do it.

Currently I'm doing very high bid on Viewable CPM. Using add Ad sizes, accelerated display and very large daily budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Already have no cap on viewable impressions....

Re: Best Practices for Maximum Impressions technique on Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Campaign is over as of noon today.....It's voting day.

Am looking back at campaign and getting lessons learned on highest number of viewable impressions possible. 

As you can see we did get good results but looking for others experienced at this technique also.

Large Daily Budget, using multiple affinity groups with remarketing, accelerated impressions, no cap, multiple display size ads 

15.00 bid on viewable CPM.

Have seen Yelp doing massive GDN impressions and wondering what their technique current is.

Any other feedback on best practices?

last 30 days campaign statslast 30 days campaign stats