AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practice for Moving Keywords to a New Adgroup?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to take half the keywords from an adgroup and put them in a new dedicated adgroup. 

I understand that the history of a keyword can be important (?), so with that in mind, is there a best way to move the keywords... for example in Editor in on the site? etc

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Practice for Moving Keywords to a New Adgroup?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

There is no "move" operation for keywords in AdWords to preserve statistics. Old elements get deleted and new elements are "new" as if they never existed before. Their history will start building up from the moment of the creation.

The "Cut" operation in the Editor creates new elements and deletes the old ones.Please read from here : link

"When you paste keywords in a new ad group, the keywords' performance statistics, such as impressions and clicks, are not transferred to the new location."

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni
Hello Philip,

I believe the most suitable way here is to simply copy all the keywords you need to "move" to another ad group, paste them where you need to, and then pause all the moved keywords in the old ad groups. This way you'll be able to enjoy all statistics you had before.

There is no way of moving keywords with their old statistics into another ad group, unfortunately.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Statistics can be visualized also in the deleted keywords, these can be seen if you select "All" instead of "ALL enabled" at the keyword level. Also keeping useless paused elements is not good due to limitations in the accounts.

For keywords is not so important but for Ads there is a limitation of currently 50 non-deleted text ads per Ad group :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704396?hl=en

These are the limits for an AdWords account:

• 10,000 campaigns (includes active and paused campaigns)
  • 20,000 ad groups per campaign
  • 20,000 ad group targeting items per ad group (such as keywords, placements, audience lists, and product targets)
  • 300 display ads per ad group (includes image ads)
  • 50 text ads per ad group

If you think you will need to enable those keywords later, you can keep them paused , because currently you cannot re-enable deleted keywords (along with their statistics)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Philip,

In addition to the above point that you have already received

Yes it is good practice to split the one ad group into multiple Ad-groups.

I understand that the history of a keyword can be important (?), so with that in mind, is there a best way to move the keywords.

If you are talking about history of the keyword's past performance, like Quality Score, it will remain same, But if you talking about Click, Impression, Cost etc. you can see the past performance in your paused/deleted keywords of the--Old Ad Group.

You can do it in your online campaigns--Means AdWords Interface or do it in offline campaigns-AdWords Editor. Your keywords will gain immediately old performance, if you are add the keywords in the same AdWords Account.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks all

I know that I keep the historical performance data in the old Ad Group;  I was concerned with Google discarding any kudos that a good performance history may have built up...

So perhaps my first question ought to be... is there such kudos? Do keywords/ad groups/Ads, benefit from previous good performance?!  I'm sure the CTR of Ads & Keywords bestows benefits? Benefits which may be lost in the copy & pasting to another Ad Group?

Philip

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This is a key thing in adwords.. Best practice to optimize campaign is to have granular adgroup tighly themed...I used to keep the most performing keyword(s) in the existing adgroup in order not to take the risk of losing the historical performance. Sometimes though, optimization can be tricky...
Example : you have an adgroup with broad keyword from an ten years old account with very low CPC..You want to optimize the account, what is the good move ? Changing match type to more precise ? Duplicate the adgroup, change match type and pause the old performing changing ? Doing nothing ?
If you do some change expect your CPC's to explode, so be sure to weigh the pro & cons and do not delete or overwrite the old adgroup historical data.

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Hi Philip,

To answer your question here, no, AdWords does not give you a kudos sorts for previous performance of recently shifted keywords. You only get a measure of your overall accounts score in the form of Quality Score. Here is an AdWords help page that will help you understand the same: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/140351?hl=en

Basically, when you shift keywords, your overall QS remains unaffected and then when you enable these shifted keywords, they start out with building new history for the account and themselves.

So, when you shift your keywords, ensure that you pause them in the old adgroup and keep a check on the QS for the campaign. Keep the same check for the keywords recently shifted or added to the new adgroup. If you see a drop any where, I suggest you try increasing your bids and keeping your ad copies as relevant as possible. Keeping up relevancy should help you maintain and even possibly increase your Quality Score for the account.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Best Practice for Moving Keywords to a New Adgroup?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi ShashankSingh,

I hope it is ok to reply to this old thread. An adwords account I'm taking care of had been quite ill maintained and I restructured the campaigns and ad groups in a more effective, themed way. You've mentioned to pause old campaigns/adgroups/keywords before the shift, but I had actually removed them. However prior to removing them, I had exported all the data into excel, so I can measure if I will make an improvement. Is this best practice?

I'm wondering why we want to only pause and not remove them, would it simply be for checking on the QS or previous data to compare how the new one is performing against it?

Thank you

Rachel