Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Practice for Keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I just wanted to know that since adwords always recommend to use two or three world long Keyword..so should I not use long tail keyword even if that have good searches on Google.

For Example we have keyword "Business Loan" with QS 10, and another keyword is "Small Business Loan for restaurant in IN" with QS 7 Which one should I Focus on...? If I use "Business Loan" and our competitor use "Small Business Loan for restaurant in IN", in that case on which position my ad will show?

Plz Share your experience...

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Practice for Keyword

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nagendra,

Great question. To begin, one must always remember that QS is relative, so don't make decisions purely on QS.

There is no 100% right way to decide on such things - and the best option is to test both scenarions, and let the data inform you which keywords to continue with. You may find that the 7/10 keyword has a higher CPC, but due to it being longer-tailed and more specific, it has a higher conversion rate and therefore a better Cost per Lead. As such you would not discontinue this keyword.

But, you won't know that until you test it. As I always say - test properly and let the data speak. Best of luck.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi,

I just wanna add to Jack's spot on advice, make use of negative keywords at adgroup level so that search query by user triggers ad from right keyword. May be you are using same, In your example add two adgroups one for business loan and second for small business loan. Add small business in phrase match in adgroup one.

Hope that helps!

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It's also a case of where the visitor goes after the click... if, in your scenario a person who searches for "Small business loan for a restaurant in IN" clicks on your ad and is then taken to a landing page about small business loans designed specifically for restaurant owners, then you are probably going to do much better than if they go to your generic page that talks about loans for small businesses....

you'd probably also find that the QS for that particular keyword would also improve with time as a result of the LP... QS is something which is a guide - as Jack says, it's relative - and you'd be best to simply follow your conversion data. If you do that, and develop the LP and the whole UX the QS will take care of itself.