2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Geo Stratergies

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I'm currently having a bit of a dilemma and I'd love to get some thoughts from your wonderful minds.

I have a campaign that targets multiple towns in the UK. Actually it's now nearing half of the U.K.

We have engineers dotted around the country and obviously need an even supply of work for the staff in each area.

The campaign has always worked flawlessly. However, recently and perhaps inevitably, certain new areas that we have branched out to, have been eating too much of the budget. Resulting in too much work in one area and not enough in another.

We are not maxing out on budget, as we are already at full capacity. Once we're national, we will probably be able to.

I've come up with 3 strategies, but I have concerns about each.

1. Move certain towns in to new campaigns to better control budget. My concern is that temporarily, I will lose clicks due to loss of position.
2. Use a bid adjustment in areas over capacity, to maybe -10 to -40%. This will cause those areas to lose position, less clicks and less spend. My concern is that this also lowers QS and when I remove the bid adjustment, these towns are now at a disadvantage.
3. Use a bid adjustment of -100. This will cause the ads to not show for these area. My concern is that I don't actually know if there will be any negative impact once I remove the bid adjustment.

I'm curious to know what strategy you'd use and why? If you have other ideas please throw them my way.

Thanks a lot.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Geo Stratergies

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
My take is the following, Paul: think about how you need to split your overall budget and each budget needs its own campaign. Bidding down will certainly impact impression share and QS, so IMHO 2 and 3 are disqualified.

Yes, for a short while, the new spin-off (the new campaign) will perform worse than the old ad group in the old campaign. But if you have a fair amount of impressions, it'll be back to where it was pretty soon.

Another possible option would be to run a script every hour and check for the spend at ad group level and pause the ad groups that are over budget every day, then restart everything at the start of the next day. But if you've got high volume keywords, one hour can impact your daily cost quite a bit.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Adwiser. I had a feeling this would be how I'd end up proceeding.

I realise it will eventually balance out. But I fear the first few weeks and engineers in the new campaigns end up without work.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and take this opportunity to break the campaign up in to three parts, essentially our 3 surveyors "turf".

This will give a lot more control. I won't sleep worrying about the new campaigns catching up.

Thanks for your input. I think this is what I needed to hear.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Happy it helped, Paul. Best of luck!
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.