Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Best Account Structure For Local Service Business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I'm interested in finding the best overall Account Structure for local, service-based business. Think along the lines of a plumber who services multiple distinct geographic areas around his business' premises.

I'm looking for an optimal structure that satisfies the following criteria:

- easy to maintain and manage

- easy to grow

- allows granular control of budget and spend

- provides the most opportunity for matching keywords with ad texts and landing pages

I'm currently debating between two structures and I was wondering what my fellow Advertisers thought.

Structure 1

Campaign: Plumber Area 1

Targeting: Area 1

Ad Groups: Plumber, Plumber (Geo)

The "Plumber" Ad Group simply contains the core keywords, "plumber" and "plumbing", in the various match types.

The "Plumber (Geo)" Ad Group contains geographic versions of the main keywords, namely "plumber Area 1", "plumbing Area 1". It uses Dynamic Keyword Insertion in its Ads, so that I can also add keywords from individual Suburbs within Area 1, ie. "plumber Suburb 1", while maintaining relevance.

Then for each additional Area, I would just copy this structure. So the next Campaign would be "Plumber Area 2", targeting Area 2, with a "Plumber" Ad Group just featuring the basic "plumber" keywords, and a "Plumber (Geo)" Ad Group featuring keywords like "plumber area 2" .

The main draw of this structure is that it is fairly easy to maintain and has broad reach. The "Plumber" Ad Group captures everyone within Area 1 searching for anything "plumber"-related, and the "Plumber (Geo)" can then be used to target specific locations within Area 1 without adding anything to my ongoing workload. I also get complete control over how the budget flows through the various Areas.

The con is that every time I want to advertise a new service (such as the plumber's Hot Water Repair service) I'd need to add two new Ad Groups to each existing Area's Campaign. Also, with each of my Geographic keywords for each service held inside the same Ad Group, I lose the ability to send each location keyword to a different landing page (ie. even if I have distinct landing pages for Suburb 1 and Suburb 2, I have no way of directing "plumber Suburb 1" and "plumber Suburb 2" to different pages as they'll be within the same Ad Group).

Structure 2

Campaign: Plumbing

Targeting: Area 1 and Area 2

Ad Group: Plumbing, Plumbing Area 1, Plumbing Area 2

Rather than segmenting Campaigns by Targeting, this time I'm segmenting by Service. So for my Plumber's generic "Plumbing" service, I create a "Plumbing" campaign that contains all my Ad Groups related to generic plumbing services. I'd have one Ad Group that just has "plumbing" in its various match types, then for each targeted location I'd just create a new Ad Group with the keyword "plumbing Area 1".

I'd then create a new Campaign for his next service - Hot Water Repair - and create the Ad Groups "Hot Water Repair", "Hot Water Repair Area 1", "Hot Water Repair Area 2", etc.

The pro of this structure is that its simple, containing every plumbing-related keyword within a single Campaign umbrella. It also lets me maintain complete keyword consistency right through to the landing page; as each geographic term will be separated into its own Ad Group, I can have extremely granular landing pages.

The con is that whenever I want to add a new geographic keyword variant, I'll need to create a new Ad Group for it in each of the services' Campaigns. If the plumber has 20 distinct services, that will take a long time. And not only will it be difficult for me to judge performance based on geographic factors, it will also be impossible for me to regulate which Areas receive the most budget.

So what are everyone else's thoughts? How do we all structure campaigns for local-area service businesses?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Best Account Structure For Local Service Business

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Joe,

I'm sorry that you haven't received a response yet! Do you still need help with this?

Cassie

Re: Best Account Structure For Local Service Business

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
If you need to control budget by Geographic area, then I think you've got to go with Option 1. As you said, there's no way to apportion budget except at the campaign level.

Also, one of your drawbacks to Option 1, being unable to send users to different landing pages within an Ad Group, is not actually an issue. You are able to set keyword-level Final URLs. So, the ad can send the user to localplumber.com/city, but then a keyword like "plumber in suburb" can have it's own Final URL for localplumber.com/suburb. Like most bulk changes, this would be most easily accomplished in AdWords Editor, but in the main user interface, select the keyword(s), click "Edit" and choose "Change final URLs..."