AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Below first page bid

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi advertisers - I'm managing an account for a client. The previous manager(s) have placed too many keywords into single adgroups. I have setup new adgroups for these keywords resulting in a higher quality score for the client (jumping from 6 to 8). However, my bid prices for the same keywords are now 3x higher. I'm referring to the minimum amount to appear on the 1st page for the same or similar keywords. Is this normal?

Re: Below first page bid

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Raymond,

Are the keywords you are targeting NOW in each ad group exact match or long-tail keywords? This can cause your CPC to go up, especially if you were mostly targeting broad keywords before. You may also be dealing with an issue of time. These new ad groups may have to be active for a few days/weeks before the bid prices will level out based on keyword, ad copy and landing page relevance/effectiveness.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It was a two word broad match keyword that changed to a partial modified broad match (keyword +keyword). I think it may be more an issue of time as the changes are a day old. How long do you reckon would I have to pay a premium? Isn't it a bit harsh to penalize advertisers for being more relevant?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
One bit of advice is to leave your bids as is. Most of the campaigns and keywords I have managed have a "below first-page bid" message and request a much higher price tag than I ever pay. I've seen some keywords receive a lot of clicks and impressions with the warning message always active. My best advice is to also take time to update your ad copy to make sure it is more relevant, update landing pages to where the user has the best experience based on ad text and also add sitelink extensions or callout extensions to improve CTRs. This should help you price issue as well. After that, play around with broad, phrase and exact variations in that ad group to see how the suggested bid changes. Then find the right mix for you.