6.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Below first page bid with "target page" bid strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just want to clarify something. A campaign of mine has a bid strategy of "Target Page" where it will "Automatically raise and lower bids to match the estimated top of page bid".

When I look at the keywords for this campaign a lot of them say "below first page bid". Is this warning taking into account the bid strategy? Or do I still need to adjust the keywords bid as well? 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Below first page bid with "target page" bid strategy

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ian, 

These flexible strategies for position include a bid modifier within the strategy and you'll find you usually have to change this to get a reasonable position for your Ads.  For me, this suggests these strategies are not that useful so I don't use them - if I'm having to enter adjustments, I may as well manage the bids manually.

The problem with these "bid estimates" is that the estimates can often be wildly inaccurate - in both directions.  Not only have I seen top of page estimates that won't even get Keywords onto page 1, I've frequently seen warnings of "below first page bid" when the average position (for a lot of impressions/clicks) is above #2.0.

In your case, personally, I'd lean towards manually managing the bids, or better yet using your own automation to handle it for you.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits