Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Basics To Get My ads IN First Position?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am going to run campaign by choosing Search And Display Network Type, And  Default Bid , Allfeatures Type. with high volume keywords most of the keywords quality score is 7, and ads are approved.

Can i get the ads in first Page.

Or 

Can u suggest basic things to remember on before running campaign.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Basics To Get My ads IN First Position?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Digital M

First I would suggests create seperate campaigns for search and display network.

Now learn also about Ad Rank and how it is calculated that will help you to prove ads position in SERP.

Ad rank is bascially calculates by following factors:-
Quality Score
Max CPC
And Ad extension format.

So you can use ad extension that helps to improve ad rank.
Also suggests you to usa DKI functions so that you ads will receives higher CTR and longer headlines.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Digital M,

The basic thing would be increasing your quality score and adjust your keywords bids to position the ads on top.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

Regards,
Gokuldas K

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

An update: as of yesterday "Serach and display" is gone and replaced by "Search with display select"
Read more here:

http://adwords.blogspot.co.il/2013/11/select-new-better-performing-campaign.html

However; I would also suggest that you will start by running   a search campaign  only.
Also keep in mind if the campaign was just launched, the QS is actually based on OTHER advertisers QS for the same KW (in its exact match type). Your own QS will "kick in" after some time, and  after gaining  enough impressions (which will allow to calculate a reliable CTR).

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I agree, stick with Search Campaigns to start with. Since your quality score is good, the easiest way to get your ads in first position is to bid higher. Keep in mind, your QS will always fluctuate from time to time however, in the beginning, it can fluctuate from day to day for the first few days. You need to monitor this closely.

Since the campaign is new, you may want to consider setting your ads to rotate indefinitely. Be sure to write at least three ads per ad group. Once per day or week, pause the lowest performing ad and create another one. Do not delete the paused ad! Be sure to use different voices in your ads, different calls to action, different tenses, etc.

Ads have a very basic recipe you should follow when getting started:

Problem -> Solution -> Call to Action

Keep in mind, three basic over-arching motivations of people are pain, gain and fear. People ultimately purchasing things because they want to feel good or they need a problem solved.

By creating such a variety in your ads and paying attention to these differences, you will learn how to speak to your audience best, what motivates them to inquire and act and therefore write better ads with higher click through rates and more conversions.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Interesting approach suggested by Carl...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Gokuldas.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Firstly, you don't need your ads in first position. You need results, and that means sales. 

Carl J's ideas are spot on - and if you have a good CTR on a search only campaign (keep the display network out for the moment) this will allow you to get a good position with a modest cost per click. Remember Google's out to make money. That means if you have a CTR that's 4x your next competitor, to out-rank them you need 1/4 of the click price + 1ct. That means you'll pay $5,01 when the guy under you's paying $20.

When you start, start small and get this effect rolling, make sure you're getting sales - and doing it this way means you're getting traffic AND a good click price. 

The key is good targeting too - Carl's ideas are useful here, as are keeping your search terms to exact match (initially at least). Your quality score is primarily dependent on the CTR - so you don't actually need your keywords in the ad. As long as you're getting clicks, your quality score will be okay. Because clicks means cash for Google - and as described above, they'll share that with you. It goes both ways. 

It's the magic of Adwords!!!!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

well number one. Your question from the Title differs from what was in the body of your content.

You asked for First POSITION and then in the body text you asked to get on the FIRST Page. While It's crucial to be on the first page. It's not entirely crucial to be in the first POSITION. You'll need to do testing to see whether if the cost of bumping yourself from 2nd position to first 1st is worth the rise in cost.

I'm surprised people here didn't really say much about Ad Copy and Landing page. These are crucial to your ad scores, conversions, and overall campaign performances. Your Ad should call out to those who are ready to make purchase while filtering out those who are only browsing. Adding the word "buy now" at the end of your ad copy would make those who are not yet ready to buy hesitant to click on your ad. This could make your CTR drop but it will decrease your CPA (Cost per Action) and increase conversion rate. I highly suggest a call to action in your Ad Copy if you don't have a plan to acquire visitors in the shopping/learn stage of the buying funnel.

And landing page should bring your customers to the exact product with the CHECKOUT button on the same page.(when you are targeting customers in the buying stage of the buying funnel, of course). If your Ad Copy is selling Ultra Slim Samsung Notebook AZ123.....bring them to this items's checkout page, dont bring it to Ultra Slim Laptops page, or Samsung Note book page. Showing them more options when customers are ready to checkout could cause you to lose the sale.

And then perform A/B testing on your landing pages and Ad copies. Let your ads run for 2 weeks (with minor adjustments to make sure it's not totally out of control) and then make adjustments based on your data. each adwords campaign is unique, one can only give general guidelines without knowing the exact parameters of your business and your customers. good luck!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Boyang,

you are 100% right. Thankyou for raising the issue of landing pages. It's what a community's for, filling in the gaps.

You'll have realized that Adwords isn't just about Adwords! The things you really need to get you a good CTR and a good return on investment are the things that apply to almost any advertising campaign.