Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Baffling quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

The difference in quality score between 2 of my keywords (within same adgroup) is baffling.

"+real +estate +agent +singapore" has a quality score of 3

"+singapore +real +estate +agent" has a quality score of 6

Can anyone shed some light on why the great diff?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Baffling quality score

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Jack,

That's interesting since those are essentially the same keyword. Are their keyword bids & positions different? I'm assuming that the difference is coming from the CTR, which can be affected by position. It could be just the luck of the draw as far as the impressions that they are generating but since they are triggering the same ads, that seems unlikely so that's why I lean toward it possibly being a byproduct of position.

In addition to the difference in position, bid and actual CPC, can you tell us how much traffic volume has come through each?

Interesting question, I'm looking forward to reading other responses and ideas.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jack S

Have you recently added these keywords in your account, if yes then initially Google decides the QS on the basis of the keyword's history/performance in other advertisers account. So may be that is why you are seeing this difference and hopefully after some time they both will on the same level.

My views!

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi, Jack.

Maybe what you see there is not as baffling as you think, if you consider the following essential principle related to the quality score of a keyword: the quality score is ONLY updated for search terms that match the keyword exactly.

So even though your two keywords may trigger your ads for search terms that contain all of those words, the quality score of the first is only updated when the search query is exactly real estate agent singapore. Similarly, the only time QS is updated for the second keyword is when the search term is singapore real estate agent.

What you can do now is simply pause the first keyword and only run the second one. And start including phrase and exact matches as well.

Here's what might have happened:
- you've started running both keywords at the first time, possibly with the same quality score
- the system started rotating them for search terms that matched both
- the first clicks you got were for singapore real estate agent, raising the QS of the second keyword while the first stayed put
- once the QS of the second keyword was higher, even if someone was searching for real estate agent singapore, maybe the ad rank was too low and your ad did not show
- possibly, in the next auction the system picked the second keyword and thus the QS of the first could not be updated

In any situation, running two keywords that match the same queries in the same ad group is not a good idea, in my opinion.

Hope it helps & good luck!
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Calin,

I am not sure what you mean by "the quality score is ONLY updated for search terms that match the keyword exactly."
I understood the example you stated but I have never heard this before. Could you provide a source where this is mentioned. 

My confusion.. In my account.. I have the same keyword in Broad, Phrase and Exact.. the broad keywords have a different QS than the Phrase and exact match.

If for a broad KW, the QS is calculated for that exact keyword, then the QS for the Broad KW =  QS for Exact = QS for Phrase keyword.

This leads me to believe that since the broad keyword (ABC) triggers for 'ABC D', 'ABC XY Z' etc. type of keywords, the QS assigned to this is a combination of the QS for these queries. The CTR and Conversion rates for my broad KW is better than that of the Phrase & Exact match. The only negative thing I see in this is the CPC.

Broad Keyword

QS: 6

CPC: 6.23

CTR: 0.16%

Conv Rate: 3.81%

Exact Keyword

QS: 4

CPC: 4.27

CTR: 0.14$

Conv Rate: 0

If the broad keyword had a QS calculated only for that KW exactly, then why would you have a different Quality scores for the exact and Broad keyword?

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi everyone,

This particular adword group has been active for about 30 days.

a) +real +estate +agent +singapore
Clicks: 1
Impression: 16
CTR: 6.25%
Avg. Pos: 3.1

b) +singapore +real +estate +agent
Clicks: 11
Impression: 380
CTR: 2.89%
Avg. Pos: 1.8

Q1) How should I interpret this set of figures and link them to the quality score?

Q2) Is there any value in having these 2 keywords active at the same time? I started with only one of them but I came across an article (cannot remember where) that suggested having both. What is your recommendation and why?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Shweta.

Maybe the most recent source is right here, on our community Smiley Happy.

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Online-Marketing-Courses-MOOCs/Uncovering-Quality-Score/m-p/...

But it's been mentioned several times across the web and I think it's also in Craig Danuloff's book dedicated to Quality Score alone.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Jack, can you do a search terms report and see how many times those search terms matched your keywords exactly?

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star
Hi Jack,

Thanks for this data. If you look at the data garnered by your second keyword, it has received 11 clicks and close to 400 impressions. Whereas the first keyword hardly has any data recorded.

The second keyword may have a higher bid as compared to the first keyword which is why it is garnering more data it has more room for performance and has more history which could be the reason why it has a higher Quality Score. Since the first keyword has yet to record significant traffic because of its lower bid it has a lower QS.

As far as I have understood the relation between Keywords, their QS, Bids and performance, in the end they all can be tied back to each other as all of these metrics are dependent on each other.

I would suggest if you need to improve your QS for your keywords, you should either increase the bid for the 1st keyword or not use it at all ( pause it) and try and push the 2nd variation of the keyword in terms of bids.

Hope this Helps!

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Exact match results over last 30 days.

1) real estate agent singapore
clicks 2
impression 2

2) singapore real estate agent
clicks 2
impression 10