AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Bad Landing Page Experience for Web Tool?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a web tool for making crossword puzzles: http://crosswordhobbyist.com/create_crossword

This tool has a below average "landing page experience" score for all keywords.  I am wondering whether Google AdWords is undervaluing the page because it has very little text.

I know from qualitative user experience testing that people find the page very clear and very relevant to a search for a crossword puzzle maker (though a bit ugly).

I previously had a landing page that had a bunch of text and linked to the web tool.  In both qualitative feedback and conversion rate tracking, using the web tool as the landing page provides a better user experience than using a text-heavy landing page that links to the web tool.  However, my "landing page experience" scores were all average or above average when I had the text-heavy page.

I know Google says to "focus on the user, and everything else will follow", but that seems to be punished in this case.  Meanwhile, Bing Ads loves the current page and so I get more search PPC volume from Bing than from Google.

Any ideas for how I can tweak my landing page, before I need to evaluate going back to a worse user experience for Google users to get lower ad prices?

Thanks,

Jonah

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Bad Landing Page Experience for Web Tool?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Jonah,

check your landing page at
https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/

you will find good suggestion to improve your landing page.

hope that helps!

regards,
Rahul Goel
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonah P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

In terms of Adwords (as an advertising platform!) This is, indeed,  not a good  landing page experience;
To name a few (as examples)

• No content
  • The goal of the site is not clear; e.g when a user land on this site  - what do you expect him/ her to do ?
  • What is the product offering;
  • No pricing plan
  • Navigation is hard 
  • Who is the owner

Read  the following help article about a landing page experience:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read the article.  Not sure I buy some of these reasons, and I'm somewhat skeptical that the others add up to a below average landing page experience:
No content

People searching for "crossword puzzle maker" want a crossword puzzle maker, not text about what a crossword puzzle maker is or what it is used for.
The goal of the site is not clear; e.g when a user land on this site - what do you expect him/ her to do?

In both face-to-face and online testing, users understood how to use the tool almost immediately and liked the simple interface.

What is the product offering;

A crossword puzzle maker

No pricing plan

Maybe I should test putting the values outside of the question mark that says "pricing" - I wanted a less cluttered interface but maybe people like seeing it immediately.

Navigation is hard

Not sure I understand.

Who is the owner

I can add an About Us page?

I will try moving the pricing out of the question mark and adding an "about us" page, but overall I'm skeptical these changes will move the needle on landing page experience.  Am I wrong?  Any other concrete ideas?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jonah P
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

where is the information indicating exactly
how, what, and when users will be charged?

where is the link to place an order?

where is the useful information that explains what is being advertised?

in what ways does the landing-page make it easy for users
to find more information about the advertised product?

what call-to-action is being used and where is

the call-to-action located on the landing-page?

does the landing-page look the same on most all modern browsers?

is the ad already running and are conversions

meeting or exceeding your advertising goals?