AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

BMM close variants

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone-

First post here and was looking to see if anyone knows whether or not BMM would pick up variants of Volkswagen like VW.

And even if it did - would it be best to bid on both, because there wouldn't be a way to negative out the other word to force the correct keyword to show, right?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carmen S
February 2016

Re: BMM close variants

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Carmen, how are things?

I know that BMM also consider "related searches", but this would rely on Google understanding that "VW" is related to "Volkswagen".

You should able to check for your self using the Search Terms Report. In case you don't know, this is a report the show the actual user query that triggered your ad and got you at least one click, so it's a powerful way to see for those actual user keywords.

Inside the report, you could add a column to show your own keywords (that are not there by default view), allowing you to see if the term "Volksagen" pick "VW".

More about the report here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Carmen S
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Carmen, how are things?

I know that BMM also consider "related searches", but this would rely on Google understanding that "VW" is related to "Volkswagen".

You should able to check for your self using the Search Terms Report. In case you don't know, this is a report the show the actual user query that triggered your ad and got you at least one click, so it's a powerful way to see for those actual user keywords.

Inside the report, you could add a column to show your own keywords (that are not there by default view), allowing you to see if the term "Volksagen" pick "VW".

More about the report here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472708

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi CameronDJS,

Regardless of whether it picks up as a close variant, you may want to use both as keywords as they may have different response and conversion rates. The system should pick the keyword closest to the query. I don't think you'll need negatives unless you put them in separate ad groups, which you might want to do. People searching for "VW" may respond to an ad for "VW" better than an ad for "Volkswagen". In the Volkswagen group, you could add a negative phrase for VW, in the VW group add phrase negative for Volkswagen.

Just an idea.

Best of Luck,

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords