AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

BMM and EM in different adgroups

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

HI,

I'm starting with Adwords with a campaing that contains 4 Adgroups:

- Almost all my keywords have QS 10 and the CTR upper to 9%.

- the first 3 adgroups only contains EM keywords.

- the last adgroup contains a BMM keyword and all the keywords of the first adgroups included as negative.

I have to include these keywords as negative in order to no trigger twice times? 

Example with two adgroups:

1 adGroup: [red apple]

2 adGroup: +red +apple -[red apple]

Is a good way to do it? Is good to create different adgroups depending on the match types?

Furthermore, the BMM adgroup have an avg CPC higher than the EM adgroups? Is this normal? My CTR for the BMM is also lower, but I don't know how to improve the ads because there are a lot of keywords triggering the ads.

I have to reduce the bid of the BMM?

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David M
September 2015

Re: BMM and EM in different adgroups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

That's the way many advertisers organize their account, splitting ad groups by match type. Adding the negative exact match to the BMM group will assure the exact match gets the impression.

It does seem strange the BMM group has a higher CPC than the EM.

Try pulling a search terms report on the BMM keywords to see what kind of queries are triggering your ad. You will, no doubt, find queries that are totally unrelated to your business. Identify those queries and add them as negative phrase or exact match. Also, you might use the ad preview tool with some of those keywords to see who you competition is on those. And look at the CPC's data, too.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

We had a very good discussion, on the exact same topic, a few days ago, I recommend reading:

Negative keyword list with all exact keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

If your campaign is only 3 days old, you are doing just fine. You should see your CPC's start to go down soon. The system begins to adjust your QS's after about 1000 impressions of the one keyword. I can't tell how many keywords are involved in the 7500 impressions.

It takes a while to accumulate enough data before you can run the search terms report.

The estimated top of page bid is just an estimate, not a guarantee by any means. I really don't think it's likely you will ever get clicks with a bid of 0.01. It's also not likely you will get clicks from Google search at under 0.05. It is a possibility on search partners, but the response from partners is far lower than response on Google.

Be patient and let your data build for at least a week. Then take a look and see what's happening.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

That's the way many advertisers organize their account, splitting ad groups by match type. Adding the negative exact match to the BMM group will assure the exact match gets the impression.

It does seem strange the BMM group has a higher CPC than the EM.

Try pulling a search terms report on the BMM keywords to see what kind of queries are triggering your ad. You will, no doubt, find queries that are totally unrelated to your business. Identify those queries and add them as negative phrase or exact match. Also, you might use the ad preview tool with some of those keywords to see who you competition is on those. And look at the CPC's data, too.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

We had a very good discussion, on the exact same topic, a few days ago, I recommend reading:

Negative keyword list with all exact keywords

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you Petabaro.

I'm in a niche with very low competition (I didn't found any competitor yet). In almost all my keywords the estimated top bid is 0.01 but I have an AVG CPC of 0.11e. Why I have this CPC if the top estimated bid is 0.01?

I have a CPC MAX of 0.40, QS 10 in 90% of all my keywords, and my AVG CTR is 10%. 

For example, Find attached below the stats of yesterday:

Total    778 7,513 10.36% €0.12 €93.34 1

What I'm doing wrong? I don't know if this is relevant, but my campaing only have three days.

Actually, my strategie is only to keep improving my ads in order to get an AVG CPC of 0.03 - 0.05. What you suggest?

About the report, I tried, but adwords notice me that I don't have enough data. Maybe I have to wait some days...

On the other side, I have an EM keyword with this warning:

Your ad may be appearing with limited frequency while our system adjusts for the performance of a keyword that relates to highly popular search queries. 

Is the third day with this notice? Is normal? I have to do something or just wait more?

Thank you very much.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Check these answers By Jon (marked as a solution) about "no competition" .They explain well the situation.

No ads on a google search = no competition for this keyword?

Understanding low competition, high CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Moshle, 

Thank you for the resources, I'm a little more clear about the low competition and no ads.

I'm starting in this fascinating world and I really have a lot questions, I'm sorry, everybody have a first day Smiley Happy

About my campaing, my CTR is about 12% and all my keywords have 10QS. Futhermore, the AVG CPC is decreasing every day. BTW, I want to be sure that I'm doing the right things and also be sure for the next steps.

Using the logic, my next step will be to start decreasing the CPC MAX in order to reduce my AVG CPC, I think that 0.40 is too much if the estimated top page bid is 0.01. What you recommend about it? Are there some rules to decrease the CPC MAX? like 10% every day...  Can I believe the bid estimator? Sometimes I think that it doesn't work correctly. What I should to reduce, CPC MAX of adgroup or for each keyword?

As well, I heard that when you start a new campaing, you start paying higher and and gradually stabilizes. Is that true? if is true, how many days I have to wait? Because my campaing only have three days.

Thank you!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Jon_Gritton (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

If your campaign is only 3 days old, you are doing just fine. You should see your CPC's start to go down soon. The system begins to adjust your QS's after about 1000 impressions of the one keyword. I can't tell how many keywords are involved in the 7500 impressions.

It takes a while to accumulate enough data before you can run the search terms report.

The estimated top of page bid is just an estimate, not a guarantee by any means. I really don't think it's likely you will ever get clicks with a bid of 0.01. It's also not likely you will get clicks from Google search at under 0.05. It is a possibility on search partners, but the response from partners is far lower than response on Google.

Be patient and let your data build for at least a week. Then take a look and see what's happening.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello again David;

I see that Pete covered your questions;

I just would like to underline that the initial QS you are "given" is not based on your campaign performances, but rather other advertisers QS. (The last sentence of mine, in not completely accurate. But since you are new. I will skip the explanation of how QS is calculated, and leave it to you as "further reading"). Only after 1000 impressions your keyword performance (mostly CTR) is factored into the QS.

So; the QSs of 10 you are having now , are not actually based on your KWs performance. You will probably see a drop in QSs as ads gain impressions.

-Moshe

Read more:

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you, I appreciate a lot your help.

I have grouped the adgroups per theme and matching type. But I experienced some errors:

First campaing structure:

Ad Group1: Blue widgets [exact] | keyword: [blue widgets]

Ad Gorup 2: Blue widgets [BMM] | keyword: +blue +widgets, -[blue widgets]

I have removed the negative keyword because adwords said me that could not trigger the ad because a negative keyword was blocking the keyword. So, I removed the negative keyword.

After removing the negative keyword, I solved the first error but now adwords is showing an other error:

• This keyword is triggering other ads with a similar keyword: [blue widgets] Blue widgets [ES] > Blue widgets [Exact]

How I can solve it? Is this normal?

Can I add a phrase keyword in the BMM adgroup? will be positive?

Thank you.