Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Avoid Duplicates in particular circumnstances

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

i've a question. I'm looking for a way to increase my qs because for some reason it is not very high. After a lot of research a find out that a big percentage of my low qs seems to come from "duplicates keywords".

My duplicate problem does not look to me as a standard duplicate problem, it is more hidden than the standard, here the situation.

My account is structured in this way:

Campaign1: Service1-Arizona

.....Group1: Service1-Phoenix

.......... +Keyword +Phoenix

.......... other keywords which include Phoenix

.....Group2: Service1-Tucson

.......... +Keyword +Tucson

.......... other keywords which include Tucson

Campaign2: Service1-Texas

.....Group1: Service1-Houston

.......... +Keyword +Houston

.......... other keywords which include Houston

.....Group2: Service1-Dallas

.......... +Keyword +Dallas

.......... other keywords which include Dallas

The account structured this way has proven, at the moment, to be the best choice (in terms of optimization and results).

Said that, with this structure i manage multiple services, and i found out that occasionally (for services that have a starting and a destionation point), i get a duplicate issues.

For example, if i search:

• [Keyword Dallas] it will fire the keyword +Keyword +Dallas
  • [Keyword Phoenix] it will fire the keyword +Keyword +Phoenix
  • [Keyword from Dallas to Phoenix] it will encounter a duplicate issues and google will choose the best ad between +Keyword +Dallas and +Keyword +Phoenix

Someone has an idea on how to get rid of this problem? How can i prevent this from happening?

I tried to think to some reverse keywords but the solution i came up with seem to be too complicated.

In the end, in my mind the last search ( Keyword from Dallas to Phoenix ) should show the ads of the dallas group, instead if a user search for ( Keyword from Phoenix to Dallas ) he should view the ads from the Phoenix group.

Thanks to everyone in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avoid Duplicates in particular circumnstances

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

To the best of  my understanding, you should try using the embedded negative keywords, so that your ad copies do not overlap and the ad which you want to get triggered should get displayed most of the times.

What you can do is that you can add the exact matches of the negative keywords; for example keywords related to Phoenix in the campaign targeting Tucson, so that the ad related to Phoenix is not triggered for Tucson. And then you can follow the same strategy for the rest of the ad groups or campaigns.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

thank you very much for you answer.
This was one of the solution i came up with, but i was not sure about how to proceed because it seems to be pretty complicated.

In the example above i gave only 4 cities, but in my account i work with hundreds of city so, in theory, i should put, for each ad group a set of negative keywords like these:

Campaign1: Service1-Arizona
.....Group1: Service1-Phoenix
.......... +Keyword +Phoenix

.......... -[Keyword from Dallas to Phoenix]

.......... -[Keyword from Tucson to Phoenix]

.......... -[Keyword from Houston to Phoenix]

This for all the cities and then i should take into consideration keywords variation like:

.......... -[Keyword Dallas Phoenix]

.......... -[Keyword Tucson Phoenix]

What do you think about this? Do you see any "shortcut"?

Do you think it's too complex to set up and mantain to be worthwhile?

Thanks again for your time

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Ale84,

Personally, I would split these AdGroups into separate campaigns, use geo-targeting, and drop the city names form the keywords altogether. All campaigns will the same or very similar keywords.

Campaign #1: Phoenix
geo-target: Phoenix Metro
Group #1: Service1
.... +keyword
.... "keyword"
.... [keyword]

Campaign #2: Tucson
geo-target: Tucson Metro
.... +keyword
.... "keyword"
.... [keyword]

Campaign #3: Houston
geo-target: Houston Metro
.... +keyword
.... "keyword"
.... [keyword]

Campaign #4: Dallas
geo-target: Dallas Metro
.... +keyword
.... "keyword"
.... [keyword]

Single word keywords are rarely a good idea.

The thing here is that people don't always include the city name in their queries. Including the city name in you keywords often results in a "Low Search Volume" warning, meaning the keyword has been approved but will not get impressions. Geo-targeting uses a number of signals to determine the user's location or search intent, including city names. This should also result in higher CTR and QS, but it will take a little time for the QSA to change.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This could be a good idea! The only problem i see is that this solution can potentially lead to a large amount of campaigns ( nrBig-MediumCities * NrOfServices ).

Anyway i should test this to see if it helps/works.

Other ideas, solutions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks to everyone