Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Avg Position

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Experts

I want to get #1 position on Adwords of one keyword. its quality score is 9/10. Its bid was $7 and my position was 2nd now its bid is $17 still position is 2nd. Please tell me how i will get #1 position.

Wam Regards

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Avg Position

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Lisa,

Ad position depends on QS and Bid. So probably try to increase QS of that keyword to 10/10 to have cheaper bids and then it mostly just depends on the bid amount.

In case you are always behind some specific advertisier and you want to be on first position, then you can try to create your own Bid Strategy for this campaign.

It is called Target outranking share -> there you can set domain of your competitor, set Target outranking share to 100% and it will adjust your bids to outrank your competitor.

Alex

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Lisa C;

Since your QS is relatively high your only option is to increase the bid.

However; carefully consider whether position #1 is would bring the ROI of additional costs. I would first consider adding extensions (sitelinks; callouts...)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Alex

Thanks again. Is it work? actually I tried "Target search page location" it automatically decrease my per keyword bid. Suppose My keyword bid is $10 and tomorrow morning I will see its just $2 and position was 5 or 6. I have bad experience with Automatically bid. Have you tried this? Please give me right suggestions.

Regards

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
I do not have experience with this exact setting, but I saw many presentations mentioning this option. So in case you really need to be on the first position or at least you want to see how high bids are necessary to outrank your competitor, then I think you should give it a shot.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Lisa, 

First you need to identify, whether you are getting enough ROI at position #1 or not. If you have broad/phrase match keywords then I would recommend you to run the Search query report, you can see that certain search terms are lowing your positions, that you can add in different ad groups & add them negative in the existing ad group, if they are giving you good ROI, otherwise you can remove, if they don't give you desired ROI.  In addition of that assign the different bid on new keywords that you will add in new ad groups.

Also check what is the position in Google Search partner and Google and also run the Device Segment run, check where you are lacking the good Avg positions. In order to check this, you can see the Segment report.

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Housing.jpg

Hello Experts,

Here is the my competitor. I have noticed that Google display 3-3 site link extentions along with ads, I refresh many times, but same. I am also on Top some other keywords, but Google display 2-2 site links along my Ads. Why so?

Hey Alex, I tried outranking, but I can't beat them. I think "Ottawa Student Housing" is his domain name that why we can't beat. What you think? btw I did 100% and MY max bid is $30. instead of this I can't. Do you have any other suggests? Thanks 

Warm Regards

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
Hello Lisa,

there can be as many as 6 sitelinks along with the Ad - at least on desktop. So make sure you have at least 6 sitelinks active. Not exactly sure how it decides whether to show 2-4-6, but I believe it depends a lot on the sitelinks lenght - shorter messages - more sitelinks, longer messages - less sitelinks.

Like I said above, I would go for maximum Quality score first and then raising your CPC until you get your first position. Then you have to decide whether this max CPC amount isn't overkill for your business.