Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Avg Position and Quality Score

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Team,

I have one old day adgroup running with 5 keywords. All of my keywords have Quality score of 8 out of 10. However my Avg position of my Adgroup is 4. How can I improve my Avg position? Do I need to work on my Ad copies to improve the QS  Or consider raising the bid amount?

Thanks & Regards,

Gokul

1 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gokuldas K
September 2015

Re: Avg Position and Quality Score

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gokul

Both, increasing QS and bid, will help you increasing your ad ranks. Though it might be more difficult in short term to get your QS up to 9 or 10.

Regards
Aleks

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gokul,

Yes Alev is Right,
Ad Rank=Max CPC* QS.

So if you need to improve the AVG Position then you need to increase both.

Also Check in the Network (With Search Partner), which network has higher Avg Position.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to add my personal experience to this thread, besides the great advice that you already received.

1) To increase CTR you can activate the Extensions like : sitelinks with descriptions ( takes a big space when the Ad is in position 1), location extension , call extension . All of these make your Ad larger and you can push the competitor ads lower on the page. Also use in the Ads initial capitalisation to draw attention, make every first letter of words a Capital Letter.

2) The avg. pos. that you see in the AdWords interface is just the position for impressions which doesn't help much the tweaking for profitable positions.

To find out in what positions your keyword received clicks you can to look at the Analytics /Traffic sources/Advertising/AdWords/ Keyword positions report.In here when you click on a keyword you get to see exactly how many clicks received in each of the 11 slots. If you are recording conversions as Goals from analytics, you can also select the Goal to see how many conversions happened in what position.

3) When I wanted to test the impact of rasing bids I have setup an experiment with default settings ( 50% control and 50% experiement) this is a 1 minute setup, and just for the keywords that had a low avg. pos. , for the experiment I used bids 20-30% higher. Of course to do this the account owner has to give you full freedom with the budget.

To do this is very simple, you go to the keywords tab and select "Segment / Experiment" . The other keywords are not affected, they run on the same bid, this is how the bid adjustment looks like

experiment-keyword.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,
Thanks Andrian for passing the ballSmiley Happy

Before Explaining the Experiment I would like to put a Case

Suppose I have a keywords “XYZ” in my campaigns and it has lower CTR with Avg position 4.5 in spite of having a Good QS.

So I have decided to increase the bids. But if I increase the bid, how would I know that what are the major changes react with keywords like CPA, Number of leads, impression, Click AVG position and CTR.

We can’t jump into the conclusion that all the above changes happen due to increasing the bids of the Keywords “XYZ”. It is also possible that

1.) competitor might pause their campaigns after increasing my bids.
2.) The search volumes of The keywords has increased/decreased during that period.

So avoid facing this situation Adwords has added a new tool that is called Adwords Experiment Campaigns(ACE). ACE allows to measure the impacts of increasing/decreasing the bid of the particular keywords.

How to enable the ACE:-\

1.) Go the Setting button of Select the campaign where you want to experiment

2.) Then Click on the Experiment button please see the snapshot on the link.

3.) Then you put a name of experiment in the Name box.
4.) Select one in Control/Experiment Splits drop down menu( Say 50% Control/50% Experiment)
5.) Then Select start and End date(Duration of experiment that you want)
6.) Then save it.
7.) Now come to the keywords levels and go to the “Segment” Dropdown menu where you need to select the Experiment tab. Please find snapshot in the link.

8.) Then Select the keywords, where you want to do an experiment and 

9.) then edit the max CPC( Increase/decrease the Bids that you can afford) of “Experiment- 50 Running” of the keywords. Please find snapshot in the link

Then keep the campaigns running for the sometime and then you will find some interesting insights on the following area:-

1.) Traffic:-Have Impression, Click and CTR increased or decreased with doing experiment on that particular Keywords?
2.) Conversion:- Have Conversion and conversion Rate Increased and decreased?
3.) Cost:- What is the impact on the Cost and CPA?
4.) Avg Positions:- Have Avg positions increased with doing experiment?

Then Compare this Experiment report with Control Report?

Then Finally you take a decisions whether increasing or decreasing the bids is beneficial for you or not?

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Gokul

Both, increasing QS and bid, will help you increasing your ad ranks. Though it might be more difficult in short term to get your QS up to 9 or 10.

Regards
Aleks
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Gokul,

Yes Alev is Right,
Ad Rank=Max CPC* QS.

So if you need to improve the AVG Position then you need to increase both.

Also Check in the Network (With Search Partner), which network has higher Avg Position.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Alev & Rakesh,

Will do accordingly.

Regards,
Gokul
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to add my personal experience to this thread, besides the great advice that you already received.

1) To increase CTR you can activate the Extensions like : sitelinks with descriptions ( takes a big space when the Ad is in position 1), location extension , call extension . All of these make your Ad larger and you can push the competitor ads lower on the page. Also use in the Ads initial capitalisation to draw attention, make every first letter of words a Capital Letter.

2) The avg. pos. that you see in the AdWords interface is just the position for impressions which doesn't help much the tweaking for profitable positions.

To find out in what positions your keyword received clicks you can to look at the Analytics /Traffic sources/Advertising/AdWords/ Keyword positions report.In here when you click on a keyword you get to see exactly how many clicks received in each of the 11 slots. If you are recording conversions as Goals from analytics, you can also select the Goal to see how many conversions happened in what position.

3) When I wanted to test the impact of rasing bids I have setup an experiment with default settings ( 50% control and 50% experiement) this is a 1 minute setup, and just for the keywords that had a low avg. pos. , for the experiment I used bids 20-30% higher. Of course to do this the account owner has to give you full freedom with the budget.

To do this is very simple, you go to the keywords tab and select "Segment / Experiment" . The other keywords are not affected, they run on the same bid, this is how the bid adjustment looks like

experiment-keyword.png

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks a lot for your great advice.

I have all type of extension in my adgroups and also I am closely watching what positions my keyword received clicks.

However; can you guide me or elaborate more on how this 50% control and 50% experiement works. I really want to test this.

Thanks in Advance,
Gokul

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In the spirit of fairness I'd like to pass the ball to Rakesh on this one to do the explaining Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank a lot Adrian for your kind response.

Looking forward to receive advice from Mr. Rakesh.

Thanks in advance,
Gokul
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,
Thanks Andrian for passing the ballSmiley Happy

Before Explaining the Experiment I would like to put a Case

Suppose I have a keywords “XYZ” in my campaigns and it has lower CTR with Avg position 4.5 in spite of having a Good QS.

So I have decided to increase the bids. But if I increase the bid, how would I know that what are the major changes react with keywords like CPA, Number of leads, impression, Click AVG position and CTR.

We can’t jump into the conclusion that all the above changes happen due to increasing the bids of the Keywords “XYZ”. It is also possible that

1.) competitor might pause their campaigns after increasing my bids.
2.) The search volumes of The keywords has increased/decreased during that period.

So avoid facing this situation Adwords has added a new tool that is called Adwords Experiment Campaigns(ACE). ACE allows to measure the impacts of increasing/decreasing the bid of the particular keywords.

How to enable the ACE:-\

1.) Go the Setting button of Select the campaign where you want to experiment

2.) Then Click on the Experiment button please see the snapshot on the link.

3.) Then you put a name of experiment in the Name box.
4.) Select one in Control/Experiment Splits drop down menu( Say 50% Control/50% Experiment)
5.) Then Select start and End date(Duration of experiment that you want)
6.) Then save it.
7.) Now come to the keywords levels and go to the “Segment” Dropdown menu where you need to select the Experiment tab. Please find snapshot in the link.

8.) Then Select the keywords, where you want to do an experiment and 

9.) then edit the max CPC( Increase/decrease the Bids that you can afford) of “Experiment- 50 Running” of the keywords. Please find snapshot in the link

Then keep the campaigns running for the sometime and then you will find some interesting insights on the following area:-

1.) Traffic:-Have Impression, Click and CTR increased or decreased with doing experiment on that particular Keywords?
2.) Conversion:- Have Conversion and conversion Rate Increased and decreased?
3.) Cost:- What is the impact on the Cost and CPA?
4.) Avg Positions:- Have Avg positions increased with doing experiment?

Then Compare this Experiment report with Control Report?

Then Finally you take a decisions whether increasing or decreasing the bids is beneficial for you or not?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Adrian,

If i am missing something Kindly update.