5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Avg Pos of 1.0 and Search IS of 50%

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

How would you interpret/explain an ad group that has an average position of 1.0 but the Search IS is only 50%. I would think an ad group with an avg pos. of 1.0 would not be missing out on so many impressions.

It may be that WHEN the ad is showing, it's showing in a favorable position, BUT it's not always showing - hence missing out on 50% of impressions. It could be a matter of competition during certain hours of the day.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Here are stats for 60 days with the ad group in question highlighted. This campaign is targeting top of page and is not limited by budget.

Capture.PNG

2 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I just noticed quality score are not good for the 5 keywords in this ad group. It is QS 5 of lower. Some are 2 or 3. So that could contribute to a lower Search IS.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @WebEminence,

"It may be that WHEN the ad is showing, it's showing in a favorable position, BUT it's not always showing - hence missing out on 50% of impressions. It could be a matter of competition during certain hours of the day."

That's sharp logic and very good thinking, IMHO. Basically you hit the nail on the head and I don't think you need any kind of explanation from me. Just one short notice to add: I am under the impression that you may think the reason you specified applies only to very rare situations. In fact such phenomena are the hell of a lot widespread and I'd bet they might deceive a great many advertisers, first of all a great many newbies of course. Your explanation also applies to a number of similar situations, just to mention one: under a scenario where average ad position is close to 1.0 still you are recommended by AdWords to raise your bids.

Thanks for your kind input, the topic is pretty much fundamental.

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Correct; these are different metrics: One metric represents the "frequency" - how often the ad is shown - i.e. wins a slot among all available opportunities to be shown.  While the other, represents the  "rank" among other ads when an ad  is actually shown. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Just to expand a little on what's already been covered: your Ad Rank is high enough such that when your ad wins a spot in the auction, you place in the first position on average; however, your Ad Rank is not high enough to win a spot in every auction.

This is similar to another confusing situation: an advertiser raises their bid, increases their impression share, but drops in average position. They have qualified to win a spot in more auctions; however, their higher Ad Rank only enables them to place in a low position in those additional auctions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies!

That's a good thought, Chet. This makes more sense when you think of the display network where raising your bid opens up an inventory of new placements. In the search network, keywords are like an inventory of placements. So I could be ranking well (and am) for the searches where I'm competing. But I'm obviously not competing in many auctions.