Guide Me
star_border

Average Position Change After Device Targeting Changes

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

After realizing that my mobile traffic is not really effective compared to desktop (Impressions and clicks were the highest among all, but mobile users were not bothering with the most important 'booking' part in the website, therefore it became something I spend most on, while earning the least), I made some changes in device targeting. Rest of the campaign was entirely same. However, my average position dramatically decreased all of a sudden. 

Could you please help me on this? I'm not sure if its because of the recent device changes or something else. If it is because of the device targeting changes, then how am I going to optimize my campaigns without losing my position?

Thanks a lot.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

QS for a mobile device is  calculated differently  than   a desktop. So I would not attribute the drop in performance on  desktops to the changes made on mobile.  I would focus on optimizing the desktop campaign.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I couldn't clarify properly sorry, but that's exactly what I did. The campaign was for mobile and desktop equally, but since mobile was not profitable enough, I reduced the mobile bid budget and added more on desktop. I'm sure there is a rational reason, but at least if I know what it is, I'll be able to avoid it in the future. 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hard to tell without looking into the campaign performance and history. Once you made the change, let the system 2-3 days to reach a new steady state before changing again.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! That's a bit scary though, I'll think twice before optimizing from now on Smiley Happy

Have a good day.