AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Average CPC is going beyond my maximum CPC

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

Just want to clarify with you all for the past few days in one of my campaign the Avg. CPC exceeding above my Max CPC which I had set for the campaign.

I am using the manual CPC bidding type.

Please share all your valuable suggestions.

Regards,

Binesh.

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Average CPC is going beyond my maximum CPC

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Binesh C,
There are few situation in which it is possible. check below post for answer.

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Avg-CPC-is-more-than-MAX-CPC/td-p/162036

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Binesh,

Few options coming to the top of my mind here:-

1. In case you are using enhanced CPC, you might see this coming up in your dashboard.

2. Bid adjustment in terms of hour of the day, location etc... could also lead to increase in the cost as you pointed.

Look at the current settings in your account and see if you have implemented any of the above. If yes, then this might increase the actual cost while running the ads.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Agreed with all you points.

I was using the enhanced CPC option and the location bidding till last week. Since the performance was not good I changed to manual CPC bidding from the enhanced CPC bidding and also removed all the location bidding methods. Right now am using only one bidding method which is manual bidding at keyword level. Even after removing all those bidding options still my Avg.CPC is exceeding the Max.CPC

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
What is the time difference when you shifted back to manual bidding? There is a slight possibility that due to data freshness, the stats you are seeing are not updated.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
It was more than 72 hours.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Binesh,

When you have made these changes? And are you accessing the data within the date range after implementing the changes.

If changes were not made by today only and you are also accessing the data of today then yes it may exceed your Max CPC(manual) as adwords system may take upto 3 hours to update the data on adwords dashboard and you might be having the data now which was in real time a few hours back.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
The other common reasons are a bid modifier for devices - mobile phones, or a bid modifier in an ad schedule.

Also check for automated rules.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Binesh C,

Just a thought, the keyword level bids override the campaign Max CPC, so it the keyword bid is higher than the campaign Max CPC, your Avg CPC for the keyword could be higher.

One other thought is the date range. If it is set to include days before you made the change the average would include the period when you were using Enhanced CPC bidding and show a higher average than what is currently happening.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords