AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic vs human optimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A stupid question (maybe not so stupid).

Provided that an AdWords campaign is well built at the beginning with specific ad groups and most keywords set to BMM, what would you say would be the difference in terms of performance after 6 months between letting AWords optimizing this campaign totally automatically or having a skilled consultant optimizing it manually?

I'm asking this, because I'm reading endless tuts about AdWords optimisation and I'm starting to believe that AdWords algorithms are able to almost do a better job.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antony B
September 2015

Re: Automatic vs human optimization

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, this is the global number of clicks.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By-S838OebDHR1VodXVfRDZ1bGc/edit?usp=sharing

I optimized during the first month (= until the red line) and then didn't touch anything for 5 months.

It didn't double, sorry about that, but it still grew by about 50%.

The campaign was pretty limited, about $300/month for a fashion e-Commerce website and I had set things to maximize clicks.

I guess the answer is that after just a month of optimisation, a campaign is still very young and letting the algorithms do the job can indeed improve things, maybe it would have been different after 6 months of hardcore manual optimisation.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

This question is usually a matter of personal preferences and experience with the system. It is true that the "auto-tools"  do a pretty good job; However I, personally, like to be in control over my campaigns, and make the adjustments myself.

I've never tried to run a test with of the same campaign, once, by letting the system do the optimization, and  (a 2nd) by a "manual / human" optimization, and to compare the two.... This could be a nice trail...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah.

What lead me to post this question is that, after having optimized a campaign for a client for a while, I left it alone for about 6 months and the number of clicks doubled during that period, pretty amazing.

Cheers!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Well... Did you optimize during this period? If there was NO optimization (by setting auto-bidding) that also could be attributed to "improving performance": this is a "feedback" process: The higher the CTR as campaign makes progress, - the better the performance you get .
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

It's an interesting question Antony.  Like Moshe, I rarely use any automatic optimisation but in truth that's partly because none of my clients have the sheer volume of conversions necessary to make this possible.

The problem with trying to run any sort of comparison is that it's practically impossible because nothing stays the same.  You said you "stopped optimsing" and clicks doubled - can you be absolutely certain it was the change in the way the Account was managed or was it simply a busier period in those following months, or did a competitor stop advertising, allowing your CPC to drop, etc. etc.

As a matter of interest, what was the goal of that Account that clicks were the most important metric?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Antony B
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

OK, this is the global number of clicks.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By-S838OebDHR1VodXVfRDZ1bGc/edit?usp=sharing

I optimized during the first month (= until the red line) and then didn't touch anything for 5 months.

It didn't double, sorry about that, but it still grew by about 50%.

The campaign was pretty limited, about $300/month for a fashion e-Commerce website and I had set things to maximize clicks.

I guess the answer is that after just a month of optimisation, a campaign is still very young and letting the algorithms do the job can indeed improve things, maybe it would have been different after 6 months of hardcore manual optimisation.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Antony 

I agree;

Antony B wrote: