4.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic bidding did not respect CPC bid limit

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello, i just started a new campaign and usually for the first weeks i prefer to let Google choose the CPC so i chose "Automatic bidding". I also set the CPC bid limit to € 0.33 but some hours later i discovered that some keywords had been sold for € 1.50 !

Why is this happening? Am i doing something wrong?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automatic bidding did not respect CPC bid limit

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Actually it's not possible that your actual CPC exceeds your CPC bid limit unless you use bid adjustments, don't you?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Yari, where did you set the CPC limit?  At the Campaign level or AdGroup or Keyword?

Note that if you don't check the box in the Campaign settings when choosing the automatic bidding strategy, AdWords will override any Keyword CPC settings elsewhere in the Account.

To be honest, for new Campaigns, it's usually better to choose Manual CPC until you've had a chance to review likely CPC costs and make necessary changes to Keywords, Ads, landing pages & so on.  I wouldn't normally recommend using an automated bidding strategy until you were certain your Campaign elements were as good as they could be.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for your answers!

Quick update:

That happened just the first day, maybe the CPC went over the limit just to reach the daily budget, the following days the CPC bid limit has been respected!