AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automatic bidding - being out-competed

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I have been using automatic bidding with no maximum CPC. I have only one campaign and one adgroup. My goal is conversions, so I only have a couple of broad match keywords. I'm focusing on exact and phrase, for the most part. I've had CTRs around 25% for exact match, around 5% for phrase, and 1-2% for broad. So far so good....

Lately, I'm finding that my daily budget is far from exhausted at the end of the day. When I check to see that my ads are running, I often see a competitor's ad instead.

I thought that with automatic bidding, Google would adjust the bids upwards if necessary. I've tried increasing my budget incrementally, but my daily spend is still low.

What do you make of this? Is my competitor using manual bidding to keep ahead of me? Should I switch to manual at this point?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automatic bidding - being out-competed

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Fnippy!

Could be a quality issue. If your quality score isn´t high enough in relation to a specific search query, Google won´t show your ad even if you are ok paying a lot per click.
Does your ad not showing up apply to your exact matched keywords?
Have you used the ad diagnosis tool to check what the problem might be?

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

My Quality scores are 7s for all my keywords.

Using the Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool, I have checked things repeatedly. Sometimes my ad does show. Other times it says:

"Your ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad."

Let's assume for the sake of argument that I cannot modify the landing page to increase relevance at this time. It seems to me that my only options are to change the ad text, increase my budget, or change my bidding.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

fnippy;

Why aren't you using manual bidding?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I thought that automatic bidding would help me get the most out of my limited budget. Seemed to be working for awhile, but now that I have unspent budget each day and impressions are down, I think that maybe I need a change.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
"Your ad shares a similar Display URL with a competing, higher ranking ad."

That´s suspicious. why is it saying that?

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm a direct seller. My company-issued homepage looks like this: username.companyname.com

Presumably that is why the URL is similar to that of my competitor. And, no before anyone asks, it is not a pyramid scheme or get-rich quick thing. I'm not trying to recruit anyone.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@fnippy
Is this an affiliate?

fnippy wrote:

I'm a direct seller. My company-issued homepage looks like this: username.companyname.com

Presumably that is why the URL is similar to that of my competitor. And, no before anyone asks, it is not a pyramid scheme or get-rich quick thing. I'm not trying to recruit anyone.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi. No I am not an affiliate seller. My home page and store has my name and photo on it, so it's completely transparent.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@fnippy

Only one ad per domain will be shown in search page results. (Double serving policy clause)

If you and your competitor having the same domain you are competing against each other for a slot on the same page(assuming you both use the same KW to trigger an ad)