1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rules for below first page bid

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, I would like to know how I can setup an automated rule which will raise the CPC's of keywords every time a keyword is below the first page bid.

Because I don't want to bid aggressively, I just want it to match the minimum bid required to appear on the first page every time a keyword does not appear

on the first page due to the ad auction. Any idea how to set this up?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated rules for below first page bid

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Raymond-Smit this is actually made very easy in AdWords.  Log into your Account, go to the Keywords tab and click the Automate button (below the graph, mid-screen).  Choose "Raise bids to first page CPC when..." and a new dialogue will appear.  Choose your options (they're pretty self explanatory), set a schedule and press Save and you're done!

One thing I would say is that when AdWords applies the warning "Below first page bid", it's not always necessary to increase the bid.  I've seen this warning applied to Keywords with an average position higher than #2, and the warning appears to be based upon an average bid/performance, not specifically your Account.  It's worth checking your Keywords with this warning to see if they do actually need increasing, or if their position is fine despite the warning.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Raymond,

Though Jon has already provided you the solution, you can also try the automated bidding: Target Search Page location with Anywhere on the first results page.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Jon, thanks for the feedback. What would be the better rule, an avg position bid increase perhaps? The problem I have is if I increase by a certain percentage (say 1%) then I will get too many emails instead of matching the below first page bid. If I increase by a set amount, too many emails and automated changes will happen as well. Any advice? Or is this the norm?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Raymond-Smit when you say "too many emails" do you mean notifications from AdWords or enquiries from customers?

As @Archit suggested, you could try targeting a particular position rather than increase/decrease or simply applying the first page bid.  If you're getting too many enquiry emails, and are tracking email submissions as a conversion, you could also consider pausing the Campaign(s) when the number of conversions in a day (week/month, whatever) reaches a certain number.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits