AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rules and Bid strategy type

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello !

I wanted to ask

If I use  Automated rules and raise bids there for keywords

I wanted to know if i use  Target search page location bid strategy:
Which  action  will win?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alona M TLV
September 2015

Re: Automated rules and Bid strategy type

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Alona, I prefer to use the Automated Rules approach because it gives me more control.  The only option available for Bid Strategies is to use the "Estimated Top of Page" bid which has two problems:

1)  In my experience the estimate is often inaccurate - sometimes by a wide margin.  For example, picking a Keyword at random from one of my Accounts, it has an Est.Top of Page bid of $2.21 but I can see from my historical data that the average CPC for a position of 1.1 is $3.25.  You can "fiddle" the figures but the error in the estimates is not constant.

2)  Using simply the Top of Page Bid estimate doesn't give me the simple control that the use of Automated Rules and Labels does.  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alona, there'll be no "winner" as such since Automated Rules act independently of any automatic optimisation processes; in other words, the bid strategy doesn't "know about" the Automated Rule so the two will just act as though the other didn't exist.  This is likely to end up as a mess since the Bid Strategy might increase a Max. CPC only for the Automated Rule to reduce it later the same day (depending upon your settings).

Personally, I've found Automated Rules to be a very effective way to control Ad Position so I don't use the location strategy.  Here's how I tend to set things up:

I create one or more Labels for my Keywords.  In larger and/or more mature Accounts I tend to use three, one for "High", one for "Mid" and one for "Low".  I then create a pair of rules for each of these Labels, one to increase the Max CPC a set percentage when the average position gets too low, one to decrease the Max CPC when the position gets too high.  I tend to set my "High" Keywords to be between 1.2 and 1.6, "Mid" between 1.5 and 2.0 and "Low" somewhere between 1.9 and 2.7 but it varies depending upon the Account and relative performance.

Note that I don't use the same percentage increase as decrease.  Typically I might increase by 6% and decrease by 5% - this prevents bids simply "see-sawing" back and forth between the same values.

I set the rules each to run at their own time - during the early hours (1am onwards) for the relevant Time Zone.  I'll typically set up the Rules to run on data from the Previous Day when they first run, for a week or so, then switch to "Last 7 Days" for the long term.

I find this a useful method as it allows me to browse all the Keywords in an Account and review their performance over a time period.  Using the Labels in this way I can simply "promote" or "demote" Keywords by changing their label and the Automated Rules do all the work.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
thank u for sharing your experience

why do u prefer
increase o decrease Automatic action
and not
Automatic action

Increase keyword bids to first page CPC ?
instead ?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
and i did not understand why you separate keywords by groups? which one are determinate "High" Keywords?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alona M TLV
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Alona, I prefer to use the Automated Rules approach because it gives me more control.  The only option available for Bid Strategies is to use the "Estimated Top of Page" bid which has two problems:

1)  In my experience the estimate is often inaccurate - sometimes by a wide margin.  For example, picking a Keyword at random from one of my Accounts, it has an Est.Top of Page bid of $2.21 but I can see from my historical data that the average CPC for a position of 1.1 is $3.25.  You can "fiddle" the figures but the error in the estimates is not constant.

2)  Using simply the Top of Page Bid estimate doesn't give me the simple control that the use of Automated Rules and Labels does.  

Jon