2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated rule to pause keywords doesn't work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have set up an automated rule which simply aims to pause keywords with a high bounce rate. This was simple enough, but it doesn't work. Even keywords with a 100% bounce rate are not paused. I must have missed something, but I can't see what!

The rule simply says "Action: pause keywords" "Requirement: bounce rate > 70%".

Any advice would be very welcome!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated rule to pause keywords doesn't work

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Christopher H,
Could you reply with a screen shot of how you created the rule, similar to the below sample?

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 12.08.39 PM.png

Kathleen

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Christopher,

Make sure that the Frequency and data windows match with each other while setting up the rule. It's also advised that the Preview should be done before implementing the rule.

I hope you set it up like the way mentioned here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kathleen,

Here's the screenshot. I know I'm going to be dead embarrassed when I get the answer, but I really can't see why this doesn't work!screenshot.jpg

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christopher H
September 2015

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

That looks correct.

Christopher, can you check that you have correctly linked your AdWords and Analytics in both accounts?

Check Analytics by going to your "AdWords Linking" section in the Admin -> Property section and make sure you have "1 Linked Account" under the "Linked accounts" section and "1 linked view' under the Linked views.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 12.27.07 PM.png

After that, in AdWords, click on the cog in the top right hand corner, and select Account Prefernces -> Linked Accounts and make sure you have actually selected the Analytics Account as below.

Screen Shot 2014-05-30 at 12.29.03 PM.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

I have followed those instructions and I did preview - that's where I saw that even keywords with 100% bounce rate were not going to be paused.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello,

Are there any logs of the rule that you created, does that show anything happened i.e. rule ran or not?

You can find it in the Bulk opertaions>> Automate Rules and see the Details under Summary in that section. Something like this:-

Rules.png

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Kathleen,

You were right. I had linked in Analytics but hadn't realised that needed to be done in Adwords too. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!

Chris

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Happy to help!
Reply to this thread if the issue persists!

Kathleen