Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated bidding and audience lists

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am wondering how smart bidding works with audience lists. We use eCPC and audience list(s). It is a bit unclear what is the best practise in here and how this works altogether. I would want automation to bid differently for different audience lists. However when reading from help file, it is unclear whether there are any bid modifications if I use more than one list in the same campaign or ad group? Quote below:

"Bid adjustments work differently when you've applied a conversion-based automated bid strategy and the campaign or ad group contains multiple lists with overlapping users. Rather than adjusting your bids, your bid adjustments will instead prioritize the audience list to which an impression, click, etc. will be attributed."

Related links

I have been told that audience using lists let machine learning to learn to bid more efficiently. I have used lists of converted customers to give algorithm a hint about what what kind of customers convert, but I am uncertain whether this has any impact and if it has what it is? 

Thanks,

Juho

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Juho S

When you add audience lists set with 'bid only' targeting to your campaigns, you are actually giving the system more food for thought. You are helping it have additional insights into the performance. 

For instance, if you add say - 'cart visitors' to the campaign, you are helping the system learn that people on this list have actually interacted with your business in the past. Now when such people fall again under your existing targeting settings of the campaign, the system will experiment by increasing bids for such people and based on the performance it will take more freedom. The goal definitely is to help you get more conversions. If you had not added this list to the campaign, the system would have been ignorant of this valuable insight and bids might not have been adjusted for the people falling on the list. 

It does not mean that simply by adding audience lists will start increasing your conversions. What matters the most is - how strategic you are in creating the lists and assigning them to campaigns. 

For instance - it would be wiser to add campaign specific audience than that of 'all converters'. Why?

What percentage of the people who are already converted would be searching Google for the same products/services?

This percentage would definitely be lesser than that of the people who visited your site and did not convert. If they did not convert, a higher percentage of such users may still be in their path to purchase, and that's where an opportunity lies for you - reach out to them again and try converting. 

To understand it further, say you have a 'hair care' campaign, try adding the audience with the people who visited this section or the hair care product pages on the site and did not convert. Now if the system goes to spend a few extra pennies on them, the chances are that the conversion numbers would be higher in general. 

To your highlighted statement - 

Suppose you add two lists to the campaign - List A and List B. 

You have an adjustment of +20% set for List A and +40% for List B.

Mr X falls in both the lists.

Now he is making searches on Google. 

Based on the bid adjustments, the system will increase bids for List B and the click received from Mr X will be attributed to List B only. 

If you had not set an adjustment, the system would have had chosen any list from the two to credit the click to it. 

So to sum up, when you set bid adjustments to overlapping lists, your adjustment percentage helps the system prioritize the list. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Ratan-Jha,

Thanks for your answer, it was very insightful and thorough. If I understood correctly the quote I used and marked as bold is about manual bid adjustments made by me and not by Google's algorithm? So Google will still make automatic bid adjustments no matter how many lists I have? But I can manually prioritize crediting the conversions to some particular list.

Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

In simple terms, when you have overlapping audience lists added to the campaign and you have set up bid adjustments on them, your bid adjustments will decide which list will get the credit. 

On the contrary, if you do not have bid adjustments set on the overlapping lists, the system will use its algorithm to decide which list should get the credit. This is the reason, it's not advised to have overlapping lists added to a campaign. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter