Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated Rules not working?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I wanted to use Automated Rules from long time but was hesitating due to it's adverse effect or any mishap happen to my campaigns. Lately, I was told by my seniors to use only Rs. 1000 cost for a particular campaign & not exceeding it. I know I won't be able to monitor the campign 24/7 & it was on the verge of going beyond 1000 so I left with no choice but to use Automated Rules. And this what I did

Apply to -> X campaign 

Automatic Action -> Pause Ad groups

Requirements -> Cost > Rs1000

Frequency -> Daily using previous data

Results > Everytime this rule runs

After two days when I check the campaign the cost was beyond Rs1000 & when I saw the campaigns no adroups were paused. How could it happen? Is something wrong the above rule?

Let me know please.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated Rules not working?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

I think the situation which you came across with Automated Rules wouldn't have come if you actually previewed it before making it live. That's why Adwords always recommend doing a preview before making any automation changes.

I am not actually sure how you implemented it but there's an article explaining most commonly used rules with this. Look at this article and see if that makes sense to you.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Pankaj,

I previewed it three times before applying it. At that time it shows me no changes will be done. Don't know where I went wrong.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again,

hyderali wrote:
Hey Pankaj,

I previewed it three times before applying it. At that time it shows me no changes will be done. Don't know where I went wrong.

Unfortunately if the preview told you that nothing will change, that's why the rule didn't work which you created. Please check the article I referred above to get a glance of common ways and then implement the rule as per your needs. 

Hopefully this should help!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Definitely, it'll show "no changes will be done" because at that time the cost was not more than 1000.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm having the same problem. Google's automated rules don't work and it's made me spend more than I wanted to. Is this a lame attempt by Google to make more money off of us?

I have rules set exactly as shown in the instructions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there some sort of solution to this? I have the same problem. I selected all my campaigns, set an amount I do not want to exceed and ran the rule daily based on previous data and every month it passed the amount I selected without pausing the campaigns? There is absolutely nothing wrong with the rule set up. The automated rules don't work!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a theory why it's not working. WHen you select all campaign or Selected campaigns I would have expected this to cover the total cost of all campaigns but some more testing shows the rule only works if ONE of the campaigns exceeded the cost. This is quite ridiculous meaning we can't set a rule for the total cost of multiple campaigns, only the costs of each individual campaign? It will only pause the campaign of that campaign exceed the amount. There is no way these rules will allow you to pause all campaign in one rule! The problem is for me is I select campaigns as I have 2 sets of budgets to maintain. The filter shows matches any which suggests that the condition sets for any of the campaigns not the accumulated costs of all.

Surely there is a Google expert here that can clarify please? Perhaps in this case I should use labels and match the condition to a common label for those campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Northpoint T the best way to control budgets in the way you require is via AdWords Scripts (and using Labels).  You may also look at using Shared Budgets, as these should control spend to your specified amount per day across multiple Campaigns.

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks John.
Yes I realised that. Labels are the way to go.
I ended up just working out a budget on each separate Campaign and setting
up a rule for each one.
Thanks
David