2.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated Rules & Ad Scheduling

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am curious to hear other advertisers' tips and best practices using Automated Rules and ad scheduling in their accounts. I am looking for some practical and proven ideas to generate more conversions without significantly increasing spend.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Automated Rules & Ad Scheduling

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

Automated rules are available inside Adwords account in order to tweak and make the decisive changes based on individual campaign, keyword, ad group, how actually they are behaving. So, I think these rules could differ from account to account, from one advertiser to another etc... I answered same query in this thread where Community Manager Mini asked about automated rules best practices. Common ways of setting these rules could be find here.

Ad Scheduling is very important for businesses especially which have different trends during the week days and during weekends. 

If I talk how I go about this feauture, I generally schedule different campaigns based on week days and weekends. It helps me in analysing how the performance has been in terms of different days. Additionally, it helps me in setting up special weekend offer text ads for businesses where it is required.

Sometimes, you also need to check what time of the day is most converting for you. So based on that, different time intervals could be set for different campaigns.

Let's say you are handling a client who can attend phone calls during week days 8 am till 5 pm.  So one idea could be to launch 2 different kind of campaigns. One with enabled Call Metrics facility from 8 am till 5 pm week days. Another campaign without call metrics from 5 pm till 12 am (or whatever applicable). Similarly, a separate weekend campaign without call metrics with best converting time period could also be created.

Just few of my thoughts!

Pankaj

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi David, 

Another best practice of using Automated Rules could be for managing your brand keywords.

It is always important for an advertiser that their ads appear on top position while users are searching for brand related terms. It will be time constraining for an advertiser to log in and check their brand campaigns frequently to move their avg. position on top. Now here Automated Rules come in handy, you can use the rule “Change Max CPC bids when” to automatically adjust your average position. I personally set my brand keyword bids for average postion of not less than 1.5. 

So here's what you can do, Automated Rule  “Change Max CPC bids” when my Avg. Position "Worse than" 1.5 > "Raise bid" by 15% -20%

Pankaj: That was a nice informative explanation on your thread, and nice idea to set scheduling for phone calls based campaigns, useful for comapnies who provide customer support during perticular hours.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your very helpful comments and tips!

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks it was really helpful. However, Is there any specific difference between Automated rules & Scheduling in #GoogleAdwords?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi gokuldas, Ad Scheduling and Automated Rules are really two entirely different things, I suspect the confusion lays in that Automated Rules are scheduled to run at certain times.

Ad Scheduling is all about deciding when to run Ads (or in the case above, extensions) so for example if you advertised a take-away pizza business you could decide to run your Ads only during business hours 5pm to 11pm.

Automated Rules are all about changing settings and other aspects of your AdWords Account based upon certain conditions such as average position, CTR, cost, etc.  These changes are carried out at times specified by you, so you may decide to run a rule that alters the CPC of your Keywords at 8am every day.

Does this help?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you so much Jon. Yes, that was very helpful comment.

Have a great day!

Cheers!

Gokul