Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Automated Rules, QS & Ad Rank...Oh My!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey...another basic question from me!

So I'm thinking about automated rules, and using it to help with ad position.

Does this make sense: run a rule to raise my bids to keep the ad in "X" position until I can improve CTR and QS.  Then, when QS is higher, stop the rule and pray that my improved QS and CTR, along with bids, will improve my Ad Rank without needing the rule?

My QS is stuck and it's holding back my positioning, so I'm wondering if this strategy will help.

Also, I read that QS doesn't improve until you have at least 1,000 impressions on a keyword.  Is that true?

Thanks, as always!

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Automated Rules, QS & Ad Rank...Oh My!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Its true you need good number of impressions & clicks to have your Own QS as when you start a new account you get the industry average CTR which is usually not that great

so its a good idea to try to get good CTR through bidding at the start till your QS gets better and start with specific keywords like phrase as broad match usually have bad CTR and Exact match don't generate enough traffic

but I would recommend you do it manually not with a rule

Hope this Helps
Maged Wassef
Adwords Guru and a Mini Genius I Follow @TopRankGuru
Please Star My reply If it helped you Smiley Very Happy
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi curlygirl,

"Also, I read that QS doesn't improve until you have at least 1,000 impressions on a keyword.  Is that true?"

This is true in a sense. Once your keyword has 1000 impressions, your own CTR history become a bigger factor in calculating the QS. This can make your QS go up or down, depending on how your CTR compares with CTR across all account that have used or are currently using the same (or similar) keyword.

I, too, would recommend controlling this manually rather than with a rule.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the input guys!

I've been doing it manually and QS hasn't really budged; also not getting enough traffic, so I thought the rule might help with both issues.  I have to admit I was a little nervous about using a rule; we're already in an expensive, competitive market, so the thought of how much I could be spending on clicks was slightly frightening!

Thanks again -- any additional opinions greatly appreciated, too!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi curlygirl, don't be frightened of the rules, they're not flying monkeys, they're really quite cute and extremely useful.

In all honesty I very rarely look at CPC values.  Seriously, I don't.  The metrics I find more telling and much more important are those related to conversion values (of course, when talking about an ecommerce site).  If I can look at the cost/conv or my own favourite metric conversion value/cost and see that they meet or exceed the required figures, then the CPC is actually irrelevant to a large degree.  I think it's very easy with AdWords (and quite obviously common) to get obsessed with CPC without thinking of it as part of a whole process.  Just browse through the posts here and see how many are about "lowering CPC costs", or "reducing the CPC", etc. and how few are about "increasing Conversions" or "improving cost/conv".

It's important not to spend more than you have to, of course, but it is almost always a false economy to try and drive down CPC without reference to conversions and profitability.

Having said that, this is why I like Automated Rules so much, because they allow me to make really quite small changes to my Max CPCs which have virtually no effect on conversions but which add up to a better cost/conversion because of the high number of clicks involved.  I like to use Labels as tags for Automated Rules and I'll typically make up a set of 3 or 4 based around average Ad Position.  So I'll have one for the highest positions, one for mid, one for low - all of which are in the top 3 then I'll perhaps have one more "ultra" low that allows the average position below #3.  I write rules to match these labels, specifying average position parameters and adjustments to Max CPC and have them run every day.  With all this in place I can then browse through all the Keywords in an Account and label them as I wish and the system does all the hard work in the background.  If I do this regularly, say, once a week, I can adjust the labelling as Keyword performance varies or I can adjust the rules and know that all the labelled Keywords for that rule will be affected.  It's a lot of fun.

As for QS, don't forget that relevance is very important as well as CTR.  Make sure your Ad Groups are really tightly themed, that you've got only a handful of Keywords in each, all of which are very closely matched in terms of theme and that all your Ads match that theme and the landing page matches as well.  Add a decent CTR to this mix and you really shouldn't have any QS below 9 and most should be 10.  If they're not, it's possibly because you're still being judged on the performance of others, or maybe your site or Keywords need work.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Cobnut wrote:

Hi curlygirl, don't be frightened of the rules, they're not flying monkeys, they're really quite cute and extremely useful.

Smiley Happy

Having said that, this is why I like Automated Rules so much,...   

You type too fast -- I'm still responding "hey, I saw your post about rules so don't bother answering on that other thread."

In any case, every time I ask a question I realize how much more I need to learn aboutAdWords.  I will learn more about rules because I think that's a good way to go right now.  I have what I believe to be tightly-themed ad groups, few keywords in each ad group, ads that are directly relevant to the keywords and landing page (although will be making some changes to the page, the content of the LP is directly relevant to the ads/keywords)... and I can't get the QS to get out of the 3 -5 range.  I believe we're in an industry with low QS keywords, but who really knows?  I just pray one day the AdWords gods smile down upon me and raise those QS...but I'd really rather improve my performance on my own and not rely on prayer.  Smiley Wink

So, I've got my homework...guess I'm spending today learning about rules.

Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hmm, QS' in the 3-5 range are really very low and probably indicate something quite seriously amiss somewhere.  I'd usually only expect that if the Keywords were almost totally irrelevant to the Ads/landing page/search query.

Although I'm sure you know this, if your QS is 3, you're paying more than 3 times as much as someone else with a QS of 10 for the same Ad Position...

Yes, I do type very, very quickly... Smiley Happy

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

OK, then let me ask you one last question and then I'll leave you alone (that's what you get for being so knowledgeable and helpful).

Maybe I'm kidding myself...would you call this ad relevant for the keyword [it services]:

Sick of Geek IT Services?

Get Friendly Help To Save You Money

And Solve IT Complaints. Call Now!

Or this, for [desktop support]:

Need New Desktop Support?

Friendly Team Solves Your Issues.

Flat Rates. Offices of 10+. Call!

Plus the keywords are in the display url.

Is the problem that the keywords are too general?  These have a QS of 3 and the ad relevance is "below average."

What am I missing?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hey, you can ask me as many questions as you like, it's why I'm here.  Although it is nearing the end of the day for me here in the UK...

Knowing now what you're advertising, I think the QS issue is actually more likely to be related to the enormous market you're in, and quite possibly be largely down to the influence of other advertisers.  That said, it, desktop, services, and support are all very common words so determining relevancy is also going to be tricky for Google, I can think of quite a few sentences using those keywords that have nothing to do with IT or support.

What does the little bubble say next to the Keywords with a 3/10?  This usually gives you a hint of where the problem is.  

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The bubble says ad relevance is below average, but average for both landing page and expected CTR.

I've tried to use negative keywords that eliminate furniture references, for example, for "desktop support," and child support for "it support," etc.

I'll keep working on the ads and let you go home for the day. ;  )

Many thanks from New York.