Guide Me
star_border

Automated Opportunity for Negative Keywords - incomplete workflow

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Probably because I use the google analytics code with adjusted bounce rate, I get such opportunities in the client accounts, to set phrase match negative keywords to block search terms that lead to visits less than 5 seconds.

automated-opportunity-negative-keyword.png

Ok, this will save me 2 clicks per week , but :

1) The workflow of the opportunity is incomplete, it adds a negative keyword at the campaign level, when the problem is only for a few ad groups and it does not offer to pause or delete the keywords which enter in a conflict with this negative keyword.

So if I apply this opportunity there is a loop : First the system suggests to add the negative keyword, then when it detects that I have a "positive keyword" blocked by this negative keyword it suggests to delete the  newly set negative keyword.

Very amusing Smiley Happy

2) Does this opportunity take into account if there was at least 1 conversion on search terms which would be blocked by the suggested negative keyword ? It is not explained. It only says at the bottom that a 90 days time-frame was used to analyze the impact of the short visits .

What is your experience with this type of opportunity ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automated Opportunity for Negative Keywords - incomplete workflow

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well, I must say Adrian, you are digging much deeper into it. Your previous post for your experience with '.' for larger headliines, and now this one with negatives Smiley Happy . Great attention to details !

I personally do not take opportunity tab much seriously. I visit this section once a while to see what's cooking there, but never find anything insightful. It all is automated that keeps changing based on how we work with our campaigns.

Let's see if somebody has to share an equally detailed insight as yours Smiley Happy

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

How can writing  4 paragraphs and adding a screenshot qualify for "digging to much into it" ?

Did you dig too much into it when you wrote this very long post ?

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Drive-more-calls-to-your-business...

Come on Ratan Jha, you can do better than throwing answers about features you never used, just to increase your post count and remove my question from the "Unanswered" list to decrease its visibility.

Such a generic answer could be thrown to any question in this forum " you are digging much deeper into it....I personally do not take [the feature you are asking about] much seriously.....Let's see if somebody has to share.....".

Maybe someone who has used this feature would have answered if they have seen the question in their "Unanswered" link list. Posts which get at least 1 reply , lose a lot of visibility. If your answer would have been the 3nd or the 4th reply with no impact on post visibility I wouldn't comment anything about it.

I can see that you have been mentioned to have the highest number of replies in January here , congratulations for that, but a reply where you say that you have not used the feature and at the end ask others to answer o me is obviously not what I am looking for .

Do I need to justify why I post a question about this malfunctioning feature ?

1) Because my clients see the same opportunities when they login every day, as a notification with a Red exclamation mark , which looks very important to them , so they ask me to "fix what google says to be fixed in the red notification" . If these notifications about new opportunities would be mentioned only in the MCC manager account, would have been better.

2) Because I hope that Google takes feedback from malfunctioning features seriously around their official forum and try to fix this feature to at least work as it was supposed to.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian,

I did not mean to offend you, neither did I think of taking your question off the unanswered list. Let me apologize if I appeared to be doing so for you. I actually appreciated your efforts for consistently looking into opportunity tab. It turned out to be opposite. By bad.

And yes, I never reply to a thread to increase counts, that is not going to help anyone anyway, not to me as well.

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Adrian, I must first say that the objective of this community is not to provide its members with visibility, it is to provide support for AdWords users seeking help.  The community achieves this primarily by answering direct questions from those members and the Rising Stars, TCs and Googlers actively monitor the "Unanswered" list in order to ensure questions are answered as promptly as possible.

In this case, you asked a question:

"What is your experience with this type of opportunity ?"

and @Ratan-Jha replied with his own experience, which is a perfectly acceptable response to that question.  Had Ratan-Jha not answered this question himself, one of the TCs or Googlers would have done, so complaining that his question removed your visibility is both pointless and missing the entire purpose of the community.  I myself would also have responded that I rarely use the Opportunities tab, for my own reasons.

You did not specify that you only wanted responses from specific people or only those who had used the feature.  You simply asked for the experiences of others.  In many cases a negative response is just as useful as a positive one since knowing that many others don't use a particular feature, and their reasons for not doing so, may inform your own use of that feature.

No one on this community who seeks to achieve status by post count over quality will succeed in that aim and I have to say I have never once consider Ratan-Jha to be doing this.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

In this case, you asked a question:

"What is your experience with this type of opportunity ?"

and @Ratan-Jha replied with his own experience, which is a perfectly acceptable response to that question.

Yes his answer is acceptable .... if you do not read my post or ignore what I mean by "type of opportunity" .

"This type of opportunity" was not the opportunities tab in general , but the "Negative Keywords Opportunity" , which is also the title of the post, but who cares.

Does it seem to you that from the answer , he had any experience with this type of opportunity, as in applied it and was happy or unhappy with it ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a reasonable reaction from yourself Jon, in a case where you admit to not have used the specific feature flexible strategy "Target outranking share" mentioned in the question  :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Target-outranking-share/m-p/428990/highlig...

You Jon didn't answer with "I don't take flexible strategies too seriously. You are digging too much into it " which would have left Naomi S from that thread with zero useful information for her particular case.

If you encourage everybody to answer to every question about features they never ever used or setups they never experienced ,will it be a desirable outcome ?