5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auto target syntax help in PLA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm trying to create an auto target for a Product Listing Ad. In the product feed the "product_type" column has multiple categorizations (i.e. "catalog > components > tires"). I'm having trouble getting the auto target to validate for a "product_type" of "tires" (see example). What is the syntax in adwords to make this work in this scenario?

thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto target syntax help in PLA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Alex,

When you target by "product_type", you must include the entire categorization string.  In your situation, it would be "catalog > components > tires".  If you had others, they would follow the same format.

For example:  “catalog > components > mirrors” and “catalog > components > side steps”

If you want to target only "tires", “mirrors”, etc., the best way to do this would be to set up an "adwords_labels" column in your data feed and create your own variables to use as product targets.

Hope this helps!

- Cathy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks Cathy, I tried that and it didn't verify. Does it need to be in quotes or something like that? 

thanks for your response!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No problem, Alex!  I'm happy to help Smiley Happy

When you set up product targets, the value that you input in AdWords has to match the one in your feed exactly.  

So if you have "catalog > components > tires" in your feed, then yes, you will need to input the quotation marks in AdWords.  If you have catalog > components > tires, then you would enter the target without.

If your target still doesn't verify, you’ll need to troubleshoot your feed and make sure that your products are properly integrated in Merchant Center.  Make sure that there are no product errors and that your inventory has been approved for Google Shopping. 

- Cathy

P.S. In the past, I’ve noticed that extraneous characters in the feed often lead to data errors.  If you have quotation marks that you don’t need, get them out!

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

I've always had trouble validating feeds by product type. I would go with Cathy's suggestion of using AdWords_label instead.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

sorry for the delayed reply but thank you both! I'll see if I can make this work.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is there any API available from Google to see if the auto target is validated or not ?

Is the Adwords UI ( Under Auto Targets tab ) - Validate button, the only option ?