AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auto Targets

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My current auto targeting for my dynamic search campaigns (2 ad groups based on):

(1) Categories: selected some of them (major ones on our website)

(2) All web pages

Now (1) is a subset of (2). Will the ads compete with each other? or will the higher bid page be given preference over lower? Should I exclude the categories in (1) from (2)?

Thanks,

Richa

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto Targets

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richa,

First of all there is no such competition during internal auction. Of-course the most relevant will the internal auction.
Bids come into action while competing with other competitors.
Why don't you select the 2nd adgroup targeting as all website data excluding those categories covered in 1st adgroup.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Richa A

Of course you can exclude (1) from (2) and be on the "safe side".

Just a tip in DSA:
Since Auto Targets work on extracting keywords from pages, then try using Page Title. It is a most relevant landing page in DSA, as opposed to All Pages, or Page Content which could get irrelevant landing page experience to users, if you have breadcrumbs or footer with categories names etc.
For example, if you have a website for cloths, and you want to target people looking for shirts, but the breadcrumbs contains all your product types, so every page on your site will also have the words pants, coats, socks etc.

Lastly, check out this article in the Learn section of the community, which shows how different campaign types (Shopping, Search, DSA) interact with each other:
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/How-do-Search-Dynamic-Search-and-Shopping-Campaig...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
That's great @Arik,

Excellent Explanation.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’