2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a new client who has auto-tagging enabled, yet has large swaths of his KW-level destination URLs with manually attached tracking code...

?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=blah+blah&utm_campaign=Blah+Blah+Campaign

What happens in this situation?

Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  
2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auto Tagging + Manual Tagging

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Doug,

If auto-tagging is enabled for the account, it will still be appended along with the manual tagging. There is a limit to the length of the query strgin, but this wont' reach that limit.

What will happen in Analytics is cpc traffic from these links will be counted twice, once for the auto-tagging in the Advertising/AdWords section and once in Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns. Conversions and clicks in AdWords will be correct.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello Pete,

Are you sure about this?

In the past I did a little test with it.
When I put utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc it registers under adwords.

When I put other source and medium in the parameters it registers under Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns Like utm_source=nieuwbrief&utm_medium=email
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Elja,

I am certain the traffic will appear under Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns. I am using both auto-tagging and manual tagging, so the AdWords traffic shows up in both places. The reporting is not duplicated under Advertising/AdWords. Perhaps the system is smart enough not to count both tags in the AdWords section.

I can not say what happens if you use manual tagging alone as I have not done that. If you use both, this most definitely happens. If you're using both auto and manual tagging, and you are using the utm_* variables, traffic shows up in both places and you need to be aware of this or you'll be thinking you're doing much better than you actually are.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Forgive me, but I am not getting what you guys are are driving at.

Foremost, I want to know - impact, if any. It seems string length limit may be an issue, but Pete claims no.

As far as what populates the fields in Adwords section of GA and the Traffic Sources/Sources/Campaigns section of GA - I thought they were always the same if the only thing you were formally tracking was adwords.? I just looked at three accounts like this and found the statistics identical. All three accounts are using auto-tagging-only. Plus the account that prompts my question (the one the auto-tagging and manual tagging) is virtually identical as well.

So, I am still trying to understand if auto-tagging is enabled, plus manual tracking code is enabled that in effect mimics auto-tagging (at least in part) is their an upside, downside or no impact?
Regards, Doug
LinkedIn  

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Sorry PPCBuilders,

I did not want to confuse you. What I did was very simple. It was only testing where manual tagging was registered. That was why I was asking.
Pete has lot of experience. So he is in the position to advice you. I´am only learning.

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Doug,

I would back Pete here. If you are using both (auto tagging and manual tagging), the data collects in both parts of your analytics account but it doesn't get merged up. So you will see the unique data.

I would also like to add here that Adwords prefer auto tagging and using both together is not advised. 

Manual tagging is a common practice when you want to see how your other advertising campaigns are performing. That could be email marketing, Bing/Yahoo campaigns etc...

You might want to read this reference for more details: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033981?hl=en

My couple of cents!

Pankaj