Guide Me
star_border

Audience bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community, 

I have a tricky question:

I have an adgroup with 3 audiences lists: L, M, H. 

I have bid adjustments as follows: L= -100% , M=0% , H=+100%.

My default bid is 1 €.

Then I have a user that belongs to the three lists.

Which will be the bid? ...or which audience Google we decide to place my user?

I guess will be on H since has the higher bid but I guess too that this will not be always the case?

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Re: Audience bid adjustments

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Marta S,

You're right...this is a tricky question. But mostly because there are more variables to consider. Plain and simple, Google will match your audience with the bid that correlates with the user at the most granular type of level.

In this scenario, if your user exists in all 3 of your audiences, then the audience H=+100% will more than likely win the bid because you have given that audience a higher competitive bid..which is basically telling Google... I REALLY WANT THIS USER. That being said, Google uses an extremely complex algorithm which contains many variables so it is possible for your "M" audience to also win this bid based of your users preferences and your targeting.

I don't know your marketing strategy but it is always good practice to segment your audiences into separate ad groups. This will allow for device specific messaging/extensions and/or keyword insertion that caters to the specific users.

This might be a good scenario to try out campaign "experiments" and compare the data by extracting all 3 audiences into separate campaigns and optimizing your bidding strategies accordingly. If you see a higher conversion rate then BINGO....if not, then keep on measuring and optimizing your existing campaign. Trial and error!

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
May 2017

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Marta S,

You're right...this is a tricky question. But mostly because there are more variables to consider. Plain and simple, Google will match your audience with the bid that correlates with the user at the most granular type of level.

In this scenario, if your user exists in all 3 of your audiences, then the audience H=+100% will more than likely win the bid because you have given that audience a higher competitive bid..which is basically telling Google... I REALLY WANT THIS USER. That being said, Google uses an extremely complex algorithm which contains many variables so it is possible for your "M" audience to also win this bid based of your users preferences and your targeting.

I don't know your marketing strategy but it is always good practice to segment your audiences into separate ad groups. This will allow for device specific messaging/extensions and/or keyword insertion that caters to the specific users.

This might be a good scenario to try out campaign "experiments" and compare the data by extracting all 3 audiences into separate campaigns and optimizing your bidding strategies accordingly. If you see a higher conversion rate then BINGO....if not, then keep on measuring and optimizing your existing campaign. Trial and error!

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Audience bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Cameron R

Thanks for your reply!

I guess my only chance here will be working on the definition of the audiences itself (i.e. temporary exclude users, membership duration, etc.). 

The idea of having the three audiences in the same adgroup is to setup a quick test to validate the quality of those audiences. Once I validate them, I will create separate campaign(s) for my pro-audience. I am of the opinion that remarketing campaigns should be built based on audiences not on keywords.

Best, 

Marta

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Cameron R is correct. Google calculates an "effective" bid, based on all bid adjustments and  this the bid is used as the bid into the ad-rank formula.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Audience bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @MosheTLV for your reply.

My concern is not the exact final bid, maybe my first question was confusing.

My concern is which audience's bid adjustment will Google take, the adjustment for L, M or H?  (second question:"...or which audience Google we decide to place my user?") That means, will this user always be allocated under H audience?

For this second question, the other bid adjustments seem irrelevant because all will have the same effect on each audience.

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Marta S

It is not a single variable calculation. Ad- rank in a multiple variable calculation. Hence, you cannot isolate one variable /parameter  and conclude based on that variable while the other variables do have an effect on the result.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Audience bid adjustments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @MosheTLV @Cameron R for your collaboration!