Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insights

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey there,

I am trying to understand Auction Insight data. Indeed, I want someone to highlight for me please what is to be considered a good or medium or bad Impression share, overlap rate, position about rate, Top of page rate and outranking. And I have an idea what they mean.

For example, I don t know in my case if I am doing well on my campaigns or not:

I have in my Auction Report the following:

Impression share : 46.49%

Average Position : 3.9

Top of page rate : 47.46.

Note, I have started my campaign last Friday. So could someone please tell me what is to be considered good and what is not in terms of those metrics? (like for example quality score rating).

Looking to hear some feedback.

Regards

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Auction Insights

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

Two points to note here;

• First, it's still too early to analyze (less than a week...).  I assume that at least some of the QSs are  default QSs (based on an average of other advertisers), and your own campaign  performance has not yet fully taken into account   (for a QS calculation).
  • The "exact match impression share" is a better indication of a campaign performance, since it exactly shows whether your ad wins a slot against a query which exactly matches a keyword. (While in "impression share"  also includes  irrelevant queries  matched to a keyword - data you have no interest in.)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Omar,

I agree with everything Moshe has said. I prefer to use the Auction Insights as a guideline as to which competitors are really bidding on the same terms as I am. (We all know who are competitors are but sometimes it is surprising to see who competes most with you in the auction.) It allows you to see their top of page rate, comparative IS and how often they show above you.

Then, to really look at my own IS, I prefer to look at exact IS as Moshe has mentioned as well as IS lost due to rank and budget.

I'd also suggest (depending on the purpose of your campaign) that you don't get too hung up on whether people are showing above you. You have to find the position that works best for you. Sometimes advertisers get a little bit vain and only want to show in position 1 but that isn't always the most bang for your buck, especially if you are on a limited budget.

Good luck!

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Omar,

I have to agree with Moshe and Amy here. You should use the Auction Insight report once you have accumulated enough data in your account. And when you do look at it, use it as a reference to understand your competition on the SERP and not use it to build strategise your budget spends & bids.

Again, as suggested by Moshe & Amy here, Impression share reports are very helpful when you need to understand your position on both the networks.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Shashank
Cheers,
Shashank Singh, AdWords Rising Star |
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please hit "Like" or "Accept as Solution"

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi all,

Thank you for the info.

Rgds

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hi MosheTLV, Shashank and Amy,

Do you also have any suggestions on how to find more profitable keywords using Keyword Planner? Impressions share of my closest competitor is only 10%. It's very huge player who targets whole world but when I am using Preview Tool I can see that he is not targeting lot's o keywords which I am using in my account. Do you have any ideas on how I can get a list of his keywords?
Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency