AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insights - Search Impression Share

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, I'm just looking at the auction insights and was wondering if someone could explain the search impression share of compeitors and what it means. I am not quite getting the 'as a proportion of the auctions' bit in the official definition:

"impression share also tells you the impression share of other advertisers as a proportion of the auctions in which you were also competing."

I understand that the overlap percentage is telling me how often competitors' ads are showing when my own is, and this percentage always seems virtually the same as the impression share column. 

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Auction Insights - Search Impression Share

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Phil T,

If I can jump into this conversation, Auction insight report shows impressions share that YOU are getting out of all available impressions. And same way it shows competitors impression share out of all available impressions. In other words, your and competitor impression share for same auction.

In the scenario you told <10% means that competitor is having really low impressions share.

Overlap Rate is how many times you and competitor both ad displayed for a search query. For example your competitor overlap rate is 40% that means for all available 100% impressions - competitors ad showed 40% times when your ads also being shown.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Phil

What I understood from your post is you want clarity on the impression share report in Auction Insight menu. Its basically the percentage of the impressions that you are getting from total eligible impressions for your keywords on the basis of your current ads' targeting settings, approval statuses, your Ad Rank for the keywords etc. etc.

Just to make it more clear, suppose your keyword is eligible to get 100 impressions in a day and your impression share report shows that you are getting 60% of the impressions, it means your are getting 60 impressions as compared to 100 impressions for which you are eligible.

To know why you are loosing these impressions, add the "lost impression share" report column from "customize column" menu. There are two reports available for this:-
#Search Lost IS (budget)
#Search Lost IS (rank)

Hope that helps!

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply Abishek. That is the column I am talking about however I would like to know what the competitor percentages are showing as I don't think it's the same thing?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
As per my understanding, competitors percentage is also calculated for the number impressions which your keyword is eligible to show, not as per their number of eligible impressions.

Just to confirm, @MosheTLV could you please give us some more insight on this.

Abhishek

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Impressions share is the ration between your impressions and the "theoretical" number of impressions your ad could  appear.

Now: to calculate this "theoretical figure of IS" Google uses many signals / parameters. One of them, is the number of auctions your competitors' ad(s) participated in,  while your ad was not shown (due to low ranking or budget). 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
So the impression share of the competitors is the same definition? So if the impression share of one of my competitors is <10% that means they are only showing <10% of the time they are eligible to show? That just seems very low ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
I think, their ads are showing for less than 10% of the impressions for which your ad is eligible to show.

Abhishek

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks, that's what I thought initially but isn't that overlap rate?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
What is "competitor IS"? I am not familiar with that metric.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Phil T,

If I can jump into this conversation, Auction insight report shows impressions share that YOU are getting out of all available impressions. And same way it shows competitors impression share out of all available impressions. In other words, your and competitor impression share for same auction.

In the scenario you told <10% means that competitor is having really low impressions share.

Overlap Rate is how many times you and competitor both ad displayed for a search query. For example your competitor overlap rate is 40% that means for all available 100% impressions - competitors ad showed 40% times when your ads also being shown.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’