AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Auction Insights Not Available?

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys,

I was wondering if any of you might have an idea as to why we often seem to get the message: "There has not been enough activity for us to generate an Auction insights report. Please select a different range or alter your selection."?

The reason we're puzzled is that we regularly get this message when there's certainly more than enough data for the selected time period to generate some sort of insight, and perhaps more importantly, when auction insights for the exact same keywords are available for time periods in which there was (sometimes much, much) less traffic? It's a bit confusing to us, so all your ideas are welcome Smiley Happy

Kind regards,

M.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M D
September 2015

Re: Auction Insights Not Available?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
It could be a technical issue, it is always a possibility but there are more likely scenarios.

The auction insights report uses data from both you and competitors, so it could simply be that there is not enough combined data over that period. It may simply be that your competitors were not as active over that period or they were extremely varied, as in you had a lot of competitors that were shown with your ads but they were all different competitors.

So showing you an auction insight report where every competitor is labelled as >10% would not be helpful.

It is possible that you were the dominant force and there was little to no competition in Jan and thus there are no insights for that period.

Have you looked at average position differences over the time periods? This could indicate that this is the case but unfortunately is not conclusive either way of this being the case.

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi M,

The first thing that comes to mind is that time period. There is a delay in the data collection, thus if you are looking at the period 'yesterday' this data may not yet be available.

You want to give it 2 or 3 days before the data will populate. This is also dependant on exactly how much data there is, the less data the longer the time period.

So I am guessing that it is simply a proximity to the present issue.

Hope this helps

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clinton,

thanks for your quick reply!

Unfortunately, the time period is Jan 14. It's weird, because for the same keywords in Jan 14 we've got around 292 clicks and 2,385 impressions, whereas in Sept 14 we've only got 56 clicks and 867 impressions. So I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that I can see the insights fro September but not for January.

Do you think it may be a technical issue of some kind?

Kind regards,
M
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author M D
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
It could be a technical issue, it is always a possibility but there are more likely scenarios.

The auction insights report uses data from both you and competitors, so it could simply be that there is not enough combined data over that period. It may simply be that your competitors were not as active over that period or they were extremely varied, as in you had a lot of competitors that were shown with your ads but they were all different competitors.

So showing you an auction insight report where every competitor is labelled as >10% would not be helpful.

It is possible that you were the dominant force and there was little to no competition in Jan and thus there are no insights for that period.

Have you looked at average position differences over the time periods? This could indicate that this is the case but unfortunately is not conclusive either way of this being the case.

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Clynton,

well it is definitely possible that there were too many competitors, as we were looking at the reports to determine just that, and there were already quite many in February. So perhaps there were indeed too many, and too varied, competitors to generate valuable insights about it.
Our AP actually only decreased by 0.1, but that doesn't mean you may not be on to something here. I'll run it by my colleague for sure.
In case you, or anyone, has other ideas, we remain very open to hearing them Smiley Happy

Have a great day Clynton, and thanks again!

M

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi M,

Glad I could be of help somewhat. I have been pondering this and had a look at a few of my accounts in attempt to replicate the insufficient data and was actually able to do so. On a single day one campaign with 703 impressions had insights and another campaign on the same day with 896 impressions had no data.

So it does seem likely to me that the case is dependant on varied competitors. Because there were no situations in which I overlapped with a few competitors on a regular basis in my auctions I was not able to get any insights.

Would be interesting to see if anyone has any other ideas, but I do feel this to be the most likely scenario.

M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
M D
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Clynton,

I completely agree that it's probably the most likely scenrario. We've experienced the same issue on a few other occasions Friday, and each time, rise in competition is definitely a big factor for us. As you said, all other ideas remain welcome, but I'm definitely in agreement with you on yours.

Have a nice Monday Smiley Happy

KR,
M