AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Are your standard text ads performing better than ETAs?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I've noticed in some instances in my campaigns that the old standard ads (STA) are out-performing the new ETAs. I'm seeing better clicks and/or better conversions.

Has anyone else had the same experience?

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi there,

It does happen, but there are many reasons why it could be. What is different about the ETAs you built? 

How many ad extensions are you running? Sometimes too much going on in an ad is detrimental, especially if calls from ads is a key conversion.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @onbeta,

Just adding a useful link here: best practices for expanded text ads

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

I haven't found any common theme among the ETAs that are not doing as well as the STAs. But then, we've become used to writing copy in chunks of 25+35+35 for so many years, and not all of those ads were winners. So there is bound to be some learning to go through before I can consistently write good 30+30+80 ads.

I agree with you about too many extensions. To the reader, the ad copy and extensions look like one big mass of text, which is not inviting at all. The extensions have the same font as the ad copy, which makes it harder to tell them apart at first glance.

Hi Archit,

Thanks for the link to the best practices article.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

If you add new ads, it means google cannot use it historical performance to put it higher. I advice you to wait a few weeks till algoritm will calculate your ads performance and I hope everything will be OK like before.