AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Are past conversions still counted for CPA optimization from a removed conversion action?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi community,

I have a situation where I have 2 conversion actions on my account "Signup Conversion" and "Test Conversion".

For the first 3 days I had these 2 conversion actions with the setting "Include in conversions" as "yes", so now I can see duplicate conversions on my reports. Even if I change the setting to "no" or even remove the "Test Conversion", the data is still there on reports.

My question is: If I'm using bid strategies to optimise for conversions, will google ignore the conversions tracked under my "Test Conversion"?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are past conversions still counted for CPA optimization from a removed conversion action?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Humberto,

Once a conversion is there, it is there for ever. You can't remove it.

If it has only been 3 days, if you wait for a few weeks before using bid strategies, the effect of the test conversions will be negligible.

Re: Are past conversions still counted for CPA optimization from a removed conversion action?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi RobSkelton, thanks for your response.

The thing is that it's a on-going campaign with the auto bid strategy already turned on for conversions. The difference is that we implemented the offline conversion via API as the source of conversions and that's why there was a "test" conversion, so now I can see that the data cannot be removed from the reports, but I would like confirmation of how much those 3 days with duplicate conversions will impact the auto-calculation.

I read here the following which gives me hope that the algorithm should be smart enough to identify these days as "random fluctuation":

AdWords bidding algorithms work to prevent hyperactivity and sudden bid changes based on limited data to ensure
that they optimize based on real performance trends rather than random fluctuations

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Humberto,

If the test conversions are just a blip in an established process, then it probably won't matter.

If you had just started tracking conversions, the test conversions wouldn't be picked up as a blip.

And of course these are duplicate conversions, so that is way better than false conversions. It isn't terrible to have too much of the right signals.