1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Are landing pages still relevant?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to know people's thoughts on the use of landing pages as it appears they may be out of the picture. (But I could certainly be wrong). From many of the ads I have seen, they all point to their main website. Perhaps this is because of organic search linking as it would push up the result up the chain if it pointed to a site with lots of relevant data rather than a one page ad form.

Thoughts?

Re: Are landing pages still relevant?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Chelsie,

Landing pages are far from irrelevant. They are still one of the core areas of optimisation & indicators of relevancy.

If I click on an ad to "Buy Red Dresses" why would I ever want to be directed to the homepage, I expect to see red dresses after I clicked the ad.

If the majority of your competitors are sending their ad traffic to the homepage then you should rejoice as your competitors are doing a bad job.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Landing Pages are absolutely still relevant! The observations you've made typically come from an advertiser/agency who either isn't targeted enough in their approach, or doesn't have the time/resources to do so. With the rise of keyword insertion and dynamic ad copy you also see more advertisers leaning on their homepage as a safe means to canvas a wider volume of searches with the same ad copy. Technically this could be overridden by keyword level URLs, but it often doesn't happen for the same time/resource reasons as above.

From a more cynical point of view, these examples could also be a case of KPI manipulation. Landing someone on the home page typically drives artificial "improvement" in bounce rate, average time on site, and pages/visit (assuming the homepage is within the original context of the search, the visitor then has to browse for the information they're looking for) so if a client is focused on these metrics I've seen some advertisers use this tactic as a means to manipulate the numbers.

TL;DR: Landing pages are just as important as ever, but often overlooked in favor of other quick wins within an account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for input! I'm very new to the game and trying my best to learn the ropes.

One thing I might have mentioned is that we essentially sell just one thing (software) so we're unsure how useful specific landing pages might be. However, given what I have read, I may have oversimplified things.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for such a great answer, Andrew! I think given both answers we'll continue with the landing page route