AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Are google adwords PPC estimates correct ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have quite a few discrepanicies with Ad words. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong though in all fairness to Google. For example- I type in Wind chimes and the ad words results PPC is much better than say- bamboo wind chimes. How ever on google there are more advertisments (paid for) for bamboo wind chimes with a lower estimate. This is an example. The number of clicks google claimed was a 0.5 clicks estimate which is not good and yet advertising users see it differently. Is it the advertisers who are not being wise about there choice or is it google that delibrately do this for there own reasons. I am a beginner . I would have posted in the basic section but I thought it more relevant here. Could really do with some experienced users help- thank you very much indeed.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Are google adwords PPC estimates correct ?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thanks for your reply. I myself am not sure what 'better than' means either. My objective is to promote one niche market eg bamboo wind chimes might be the best selliing. Wind chimes in it self is not really a niche but a main subject. How ever my paid for tools -two different types I use to check this, show that bamboo wind chimes are 'most typed' by people. I am not sure if they then select what they have typed- click on it. Most likely when we search for things we click on them.

One other important question other than me wanting to promote a niche  eg ( bamboo wind chimes) is this-

How is PPC registering its results eg- wind chimes could be the thing most google users type. However while the main title may say wind chimes the subject words underneath might be bamboo , metal , tuned chimes etc. Does the subject underneath bare any relevance to the PPC. I very much doubt it but thought I'd ask the quick question.

1) I want to achieve in a market niche wording for my ADS which I won't find hard as reasearch tools tell you what is being typed , conflicting with google AD words often. The information is gleened from the web from many pieces of information to show the specific words of the chimes popularity. My tools could also be wrong of course , hence the questions form me.

2) Why is it more expensive for advertising bamboo wind chimes if the estimates are less for it's PPC ?! Does the extra expense in fact suggest that more people 'after all' are indeed typing bamboo wind chimes as other tools do suggest ?

I use the world wide brands tool which is one of the best out there for key word sampling in what people type etc. This may be better than googles predictions ? Who knows ? the fact that there are more paid for ads for bamboo chimes reflect retailers experiences as well.

I really apprecaite this thank you very much for helping me. If some of you work for google my apologies I am just saying what I have been though so far.

Thanks again !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Thank you Dave... It is very refreshing to see an advertiser using all the tools at their disposal to find a place to start. But, once you start...

Use the search terms report captain! The answers to (all?) your questions really do lie in that report. It's not an estimate tool, it is a real report, giving you the actual search terms, actual users searched for, and who actually saw an ad for your business.

(When google quit reporting organic keyword search terms through analytics, the SEO experts were certain that their business model was broken, and SEO was dead. AdWords advertisers on the other hand, weren't concerned in the least! Because of the search terms report.)

Don't think that a particular keyword is valuable, know what your customers are telling you. It's all in the search terms report... As far as keywords are concerned.

1) Tools which generate estimates, or overall trends, should be taken as no more than a guideline. (Something you may want to try, if you have no idea where else to start.) I would not, under any circumstances, believe any (google or otherwise) keyword tool estimates of what maybe, some users/customers in your target area, may be searching for as it relates to your business -  over the search terms report. 

2) Once again, dont belive the estimates over the actual user data. However, there is something to the observation that:

"the fact that there are more paid for ads for bamboo chimes reflect retailers experiences as well."

Competition is the X factor. Your competitors could be idiots, or they could be geniuses. If you don't use the search terms report, you will only be able to guess. Over time, you should get a better feeling for which competitors are guessing, and which actually know (based on what you know because of the SQ report).

"Wind chimes in itself is not really a niche but a main subject."

Maybe wind chimes is a niche, of a greater audience. Perhaps wind chimes are the niche of the "home and garden" audience? The google machine (or any other machine trying to comprehend the entirety of the internet) may consider "home and garden" as the head subject. Perhaps the user (paying customer) does as well? Find those users interested in "home and garden", then interest them in accessories (such as wind chimes) within the adcopy. Close the sale with a pitch for the benefits of Bamboo wind chimes, over metal, or tuned chimes, with landing page/website content.

"My objective is to promote one niche market eg bamboo wind chimes..."

Decide what "promote" means (in terms of clicks, conversions, impressions, sales, etc.), and keep that statement in mind with every decision you make. Whatever that is, if it's valuable to you, focus on doing what generates the most value. Even if that seems counter to what any tool tells you, you should do.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much indeed. A lot to think about as you say. I have asked the world wide brands people who I pay for there tool what they base there tool upon. So far I am not 100% sure but they say it is samples of people who are interested in products . It could be ebay searches, yahoo, wind chime sellers on the internet. Not sure how they get there information. The only reason I mention it is if it did interest you at all , me included , and if it becomes relevent to what we are now doing. It could bare little relevance due to what google actually have people typing perhaps.

Any way back to what you helpfully suggested. I have not yet started advertising. Can I set up the campaign without paying. ie look at the stats. then pay.

Thanks for all the info. !

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I have to agree the tools are just estimates, some are better than others but I have seen the AdWords traffic estimator way off.  The best way to know is to do the campaign and create highly relevant keywords "phrase" or [exact match] and then see what CPC's you come up with.  Your quality score and ad position are going to effect the actual CPC's.

Go to your keywords tab and find the columns button and then the Attributes section - enable Quality Score, First Page Bid Estimate and Top of Page Bid Estimate.  These metrics will be helpful going forward.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

The great thing a bout pay per click advertising, is you only pay when someone clicks on the ad. If there are no ads running, there is no cost. I don't handle the intial set-up stuff, but I thought it was only a one time $5 charge to create the account. (Kim, or someone, anyone, who knows please correct me!)

Once your account is created, you will be prompted to create your first campaign, adgroup, keyword and ad. You will also set your bids and budgets, select targeting, etc. This does not matter in the long run. Call your campaign Suzy for all it matters, as soon as you have gone through the automated steps (if/when you may be prompted to do so), and you have a chance to take a breath, you can just pause everything, and have acces to the interface. Once you can actually see where all the tabs and buttons are, it makes it a lot easier to learn the whole adwords thing. Smiley Happy Just to be certain you don't spend anything, until you know what's going on, if/when you do set any dollar values (budget or bids) just set it all to $.01. If you do accidentally spend money before you are ready, you won't spend more than .01/day max. Even if it takes 100 days until you are ready to begin advertising, you couldn't spend more than $1.00. 

You won't have any stats in adwords, until you start running ads. You will have acces to the interface, all the tools, and you will be able to click on all the help bubbles to learn about each feature. Even if you don't have any stats, you can click on stuff (like Kim lay's out) and at least find "where that thing" is. Smiley Happy Take things slow, start small, then see what you have to work with.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks I will give at a go soon. Makes sense to play around a bit before getting it up and running. Thanks both of you!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

You touched on a pet peeve of mine, whether you estimate through the "add keywords" tool or the "traffic estimator tool," the estimators don't seem to bear any relationship to reality. I am setting up an account for a local dentist and the exact same keywords estimate less than 1.00/day in one and $28-36/day in another (I forget which).

Really?

That's quite a range...but I digress.

A couple things here.

1. Look up the "long tail keyword" theory as applicable to SEO. If I remember correctly Hubspot produces a clear, concise (about 10 pages) .pdf on the topic that opened my eyes a bit and is very applicable.
  2. Consider that early on in an AdWords campaign you may want your settings more "wide open" so you can do some information gathering...what phrases do people use when searching, what hours of the day, and day of the week do they search? What has the highest CTR, and what has the highest volume? From there it's really a matter of taking that info and using your (professional?) judgement.

But for the love of god don't rely on those estimates.

My blog