AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Anyone In The Lodging Industry Using AdWords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've read a few articles that suggest members of the "lodging industry" are unable to capitalize on the success of Google AdWords.  I found the information a little misleading, so I decided to come here and see if anyone can shine some light on the issue...

Is anyone using AdWords for a motel/hotel and seeing success?  Do you have any pointers for others that you would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Jon

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Anyone In The Lodging Industry Using AdWords?

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 2
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi users,

Can we help TandemMobile with some best practices in the motel/lodging industry? 

Thanks,

Zee
G+
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello TandemMobile; Welcome to our Community;

The discussion listed below, held a month ago, covers many of the AdWords best practices in the tourism / lodging industry. It would be a good place to start:

How do you prepare for the travel season?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
I have (and have had) multiple clients in the hotel / lodging / travel area, and it definitely works. Some portions of the industry are uber-competitive, but it's still worth it most of the time. You will need to identify marketing goals with the client, and see if Adwords can achieve those goals.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you MosheTLV for the link to the previous discussion. It was very helpful!

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 6
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi TandemMobile,

I hope you'll be able to use the tips the Community provided you with. Let us know if you'll need more help.

Best of luck,
Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi Jon

we operate a Venues directory www.venues.org.nz and also an equestrian membership site www.equinetrader.co.nz . Both sites are adwords customers, and adwords suits them well.

I reckon that it depends..............

quite a few of our Venues.org.nz hotel clients and prospects use adwords for their conferencing and wedding businesses, but i would imagine that it would be much harder to use adwords for accommodation esp in larger cities since accomm  is such a fiercely contested sector and there are so many super well optimised accommodation aggregation websites which also use adwords aggressively. That can make adwords pretty expensive and difficult for a single hotel to compete with. And it is the most popular (relevant) promoted search terms that Google display first, so once again, that is a challenge for a single hotel property. Large international hotel chains would have a better chance of making it work.

Local hotels and motels in smaller communities should do well with adwords if they can successfullyuse their town or city or suburb in their adwrods campaign. That should keep the price down too.

I do not pretend to be an expert and am interested to hear other comments on this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you RobJT for your insight!

I've read many different reports/studies that suggest doing exactly what you suggested, using the city name in the AdWords.  That has proven to be helpful, simply because we're capturing a very relevant audience.  My numbers still seem to be low, and I notice that I'm competeing with "accommodation aggregation websites" who have ads that don't seem to be as relevant as mine.

Clearly, there's more than meets the eye with the bidding/auction process.  Again, thank you for your comments, and I also look forward to hearing from more community members.

Thanks!

Jon

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 9
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jon,

If you could share some safe data from your account, the users would be able to help you more.

Do you use ad extensions?

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Zee, thank you for the prompt response.

I suppose I'm not sure what "safe data" is exactly, but yes, I do use Ad Extensions.

My biggest question / issue is competing against the big aggregator websites for ad positioning when my ads seem to be more relevant than theirs?  If it is merely a difference in budget spend, I would accept that as an answer.  On the other hand, I personally (for what that's worth) feel that my ads are more relevant to searches that include the city name than the "Book With _____ Today" ads that I see.

Can someone shine some light on that?

~ Jon