AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Any tips to make a headstart in an economic way? (Search, Display only)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm rather new, all the tutorials I see are confusing. People tend to add stuff like 6 pounds per click which is outrageous when I'm trying to have a decent budget. I'm running a graphic and web design business.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Any tips to make a headstart in an economic way? (Search, Display only)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Peter B it can be difficult to get started with AdWords (or any advertising) when costs are high.  Once things are rolling, the idea is that your click costs are covered by the profit you make from sales and when that's the case the actual costs of the individual clicks become irrelevant (to some degree).  Click costs tend to roughly follow the value of the market being advertised, so, for example, financial products such as mortgages and loans tend to have very high individual CPCs because a successful new client could represent a substantial income over a long period.

With something like web design work it's a more difficult market to predict.  Obviously you'll be looking for a nice £50k job, but you might be just as well suited with a few cheaper smaller jobs, so the click costs can be offputting.  What you can try and do is target smaller audiences, times of day and/or keywords that are cheaper, but be aware that the web design/graphics market is fiercely competitive in AdWords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

If you are just starting out, I always recommend beginning advertisers start small, with a budget they can afford to experiment with over at least 90 days. If you can afford $10/day, then try a search & display select campaign using maximize clicks automatic bidding. One adgroup, with a handful of the most relevant terms in broad match. Add a handful of the most irrelevant terms (from the KW tool) as campaign level negatives. Write 2-3 ads focusing on your UVP, using the rotate indefinitely ad rotation setting.

Keep looking over your search terms report, and add relevant terms, and exclude irrelevant ones. Use the best performing ad as your control ad, and keep testing variations of the ad copy and landing page.

Assuming you have some kind of conversion strategy in place, the numbers don't lie. Smiley Happy Start small, take your time, and you will be a lot better off than those who just throw money at AdWords and expect a profitable return, with no historical data to base their decisions on.

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry, you can not make money in web designing industry, Which is very competative, Where people are bidding like crazy and finally every one who uses Google Adword is a loser and Google Adword is the winner (Which makes lots of money)

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Well, like @Jon_Gritton said - Even at $10 (USD) per click, one $75K job is definitely worth a single $10 click. Of course, there's much more the getting that one big job than just creating an AdWords campaign, writing an ad, and spending money. If you have a bad attitude and dismiss that potential client, you're definitely not going to get that job.

Tom

Re: Any tips to make a headstart in an economic way? (Search, Display only)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm deemed #1 in the local industry, I just want a headstart in google
adwords because so far it looks like a scam