AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Any advantage of using mutliple match types in each Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As per the topic, is there any advantage of using mutliple match types in each Ad Group? For Eg.:

+red +shoes

"red shoes"

[red shoes]

all in one Ad Group?

I did a Google search on this question and most of the replies are from 2012 and 2013 ... has anything changed? They mentioned that it is better to have them in the same group as it give you "cost savings" as different match types will be picked up based on search query. In my opinion I was under the impression that having one match (more restrictive) type is better in the long run as you are specifically targeting that group.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Any advantage of using mutliple match types in each Ad Group?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Yes. its correctly mentioned.

The most relevant/restrictive keyword with the user query will trigger the ad.

In my opinion I was under the impression that having one match (more restrictive) type is better in the long run as you are specifically targeting that group.

Using only restrictive(exact) match type keywords will limit your reach. Hence, ads will trigger only if user search with the same query. But adding phrase and BMM will expand your reach to other relevant queries which get missed by you to add as exact match keywords.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Simba F,

In general, one match type for a keyword is what one prefers. However, there are situations when you need to experiment with different match types. If you choose to do so, go with tiered bidding. Bid highest on exact and lowest on broad.

It gives you the option to decide your bidding aggression based on relevance, intent and profitability. And even for the system, it becomes easier to pick the best match for a user's query without bugging you with notifications like - ads already triggering with some other keyword. Bidding different on different match types makes the system to award different ad ranks for different match types of your keywords, and thus it minimises inner conflicts. 

Next, there's no great benefit of adding all four match types in the same ad group. Having a combination of modified broad and exact serves the purpose in general. However, if one wants to do that, they should bid differently. 

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys

So there is no relevant use of this at all? Would it reduce my costings?

From what I gather from the above is that this kind of strategy is good for new campaigns to find out what keyword search terms are being used over a period that can then be reduced down to restrictive keywords to minimize unnecessary hits! Am I correct?

Thanks for your help!