AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Any Benefit? Non Exact Match Campaign with Exact Match Negative Keywords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I have Campaigns segmented by match type.  One Campaign has exact match keywords only and the other has broad and phrase match.  Is there any benefit to taking all the exact match keywords and adding them as negative exact match keywords to the broad/phrase match campaigns?

I would think not as Adwords would not match an exact match to a non-exact match keyword, right?  Or not?  What if the matching phrase match keyword has a much higher bid than the same keyword but with exact match? In other words, does specificity of match type trump bid when deciding which campaign/ad group/keyword to send to the auction?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff C
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @jeff c,

As per current state of affairs, in cases when the keywords similar to the search term are the same, the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword - as stated in AdWords documents. While an approximate preference may not guarantee an absolute sure-fire certainty, an implication is that adding the negatives will not be too beneficial in the situation described above. 

Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi @jeff c,

If you don't want to use exact match types as negatives in BMM/phrase match campaign then I would recommend you to use higher bids for exact may type campaign so that there are negligible chances of triggering the ads from BMM/phrase match campaign.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeff C
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @jeff c,

As per current state of affairs, in cases when the keywords similar to the search term are the same, the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword - as stated in AdWords documents. While an approximate preference may not guarantee an absolute sure-fire certainty, an implication is that adding the negatives will not be too beneficial in the situation described above. 

Multiple keywords within multiple ad groups are similar to the search term

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257

Best,

Lakatos