AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Another Singular VS Plural Question

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone!

Just a little question - I'm unsure how recent Adwords changes affect this, so it'd be great to get the community's opinion!

We sell Cotton Widgets. We run an exact match for both [cotton widgets] and [cotton widget].

Historically, I've noticed that [cotton widget] WAY underperforms compared to the plural [cotton widgets]. At the same time, we hvae approximately double the impressions for [cotton widgets], but even less than half of the CTR.

Now, as I understand it, changes to adwords mean that [cotton widget] and [cotton widgets] are essentially the same for searches. So would I miss out on clicks if I deactivate the poorly performing [cotton widget]?

BTW, I have ad versions in this group which include either the singular, OR plural versions, so both parts are covered.

Thanks very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JoMo (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Another Singular VS Plural Question

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey RBaxter,

Yes, you are correct in thinking that the two quesries are essentially the same thing as long as you are opted into  'Include plurals, mispellings and other close variants' under Keyword Matching Options.

As far as missing out on clicks, I would be more concerned with the quality of traffic that the keyword is sending because at the end of the day you don't want to be paying for unprofitable clicks, whether there are a lot of them or very view. So rather than focusing on the click aspect, look and see if that keyword is generating conversions or some sort of return (depending on how you are gauging this.) If the cost/benefit isn't there then I would go ahead and pause keyword. 

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

One option is to run separate ad groups for singular vs plural and test different ad text variations to see what message resonates for singular vs plural.  There is often quite a big difference in the end user's intent.  To make sure the correct ads are showing, you'll need to use exact negatives.  For example:

Ad Group Singular:

[cotton widget]

-[cotton widgets]

Ad Group Plural:

[cotton widgets]

-[cotton widget]

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JoMo (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey RBaxter,

Yes, you are correct in thinking that the two quesries are essentially the same thing as long as you are opted into  'Include plurals, mispellings and other close variants' under Keyword Matching Options.

As far as missing out on clicks, I would be more concerned with the quality of traffic that the keyword is sending because at the end of the day you don't want to be paying for unprofitable clicks, whether there are a lot of them or very view. So rather than focusing on the click aspect, look and see if that keyword is generating conversions or some sort of return (depending on how you are gauging this.) If the cost/benefit isn't there then I would go ahead and pause keyword. 

Thanks,

BI

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks guys! I'll just have to go a bit deeper into this it seems - I was worried about the low CTR pulling down the general QS, so I'll have a tinker and see what I can do.

Much appreciated Smiley Happy