3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Animated and non-animated image ads in same Ad Group

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

In my current Display Enhanced Campaigns I wanna target both PC, Tablet and Mobile devices. So in an Ad Group I have animated and non-animated GIF ads. Since animated GIFs cannot be used in Mobile or Tablet ads,

• Animated ads' Device preference is set to "All".
  • Non-animated ads' Device preference is to "Mobile".

Is this the right approach? Are non-animated ads going to show for Tablets? If I set the non-animated ads to "All", would them show for PC users, or will AdWords choose the Animated ones over them?

Regards,
Diego.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Animated and non-animated image ads in same Ad Group

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is what adwords says

Select "Mobile" to optimize your ad or extension for mobile devices.

How it works: Mobile-optimized text ads and extensions will be given preference on mobile devices. Standard text ads and extensions will be given preference on desktop and laptop computers or tablets.

Good to know: If your ad group contains mobile-optimized text ads only, those ads may appear on desktops and laptop computers and tablets.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Anil. Anyway I reckon that in my case there's a configuration choice (targeting the device) and a format constraint (animated GIFs cannot be used in Mobile or Tablet ads). So my question is how do these two things play with/against each other. Will my non-animated ads (image ads, no text ads at all) ever show on Tablets? Is there a better approach in my situation?

Regards,
Diego.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
As a result of my configuration I'm seeing that animated GIFs are showing in Tablet impressions, so I reckon the limitation is not universal... I'm going to change the Device preference to "All" in both cases "animated" and "non-animated" to see what happens...

Regards,
Diego.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Diego,

If I may jump in here, I would like to add that creating separate campaign for text and image ads is a wise strategy to go for OR at least create separate ad groups for your regular text ads and separate ones for the image/display ads.

Reason being that image/display ads tend to occupy more space and therefore they might be more costlier as compared to the regular text ads targeting Google Display Network during the ad auction process.

My couple of cents!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pankaj!

Thanks a lot! I have already separate campaigns for Text and Image Ads, following the sound advice elsewhere in this forum; my issue is having two different image formats in that Image Ad campaign. Having separate campaigns for animated and non-animated Image Ads crossed my mind... Smiley Wink

Regards,
Diego.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I'm currently having impressions with animated Image Ads in tablet devices, does anyone know how are these ads appearing? Animated, or in an non-animated fashion (like, just the first frame of the banner)

Regards,
Diego.